Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i apologize for the long post..... but today while shooting my inherited recurve the top limb decided it was sick of life and it wanted out so it blew up and smacked me in the face real good. i was very upset, and unsure why this happened. so i went to the store and picked up a new string for my other inherited recurve (never had a string for it) it is a pearson master mag (?) 40 pounds at 28 inches. it is a short little bugger at 52" amo. i was all set to hunt with the other recurve, but wasnt happy with the accuracy of it last year so i was practicing all year in anticipation when it went crazy on me. but it gets better, i picked up the little recurve, moleskinned the shelf, tied on the catwhiskers, moleskined the limb where the string makes contact and pulled it back, let er go and perfection was birthed. this little bow fits me like it was made just for me. i cant believe it. better accuracy than my 52 pounder by far. but my question is, will it be enough to kill a deer? i am shooting a 500 grain arrow out of it, is it going to kill a deer if i do my part? the only problem i have with it, is it has a little twang to it, how can i eliminate this? i guess its like nuge says, bows are like guitars and women, you gotta find one that fits.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
...is it going to kill a deer if i do my part?
No doubt it will--just be sure you know what "your part" is, and follow through with it.

the only problem i have with it, is it has a little twang to it, how can i eliminate this?
Tuning. You can move the nockset, but don't move it so much that you screw up your arrow flight. Work on your release to be as good as it can get. Proper nock fit is a must--a tight nock is noisy. Install silencers, and tune them. I've yet to run across a hunting bow that couldn't benefit at least some from silencers. My selfbows are very quiet, but I use silencers anyway. Besides making for a quieter shot, they also help soften shock. Rubber "cat whiskers" are my favorite, as they seem to be the most effective. They also don't hold scent, moisture, or burrs. One mistake a lot of folks make is leaving them too long--they should be tied on around the string, tight, and cut fairly short so they form a little ball. Tying them on around the string allows you to tune them by moving them up or down the string, an inch or less at a time, to find the "sweet spot" where they are most effective. This is after you have found the best brace height for your bow, and ensured your nocks aren't too tight on the string.

With a little tinkering, you can get most any bow pretty quiet.

Chad

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
In order to get rid of the string twang noise, just make and install a pair of yarn puff string silencers and it'll make the bow whisper quiet upon arrow release. The link below shows how to it. BTW, I didn't cover my bowstring near the limbs since I don't have any limb slap noise.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=213840&highlight=how+silence

·
Registered
20,338 Posts
b -

If you are shooting the same arrows from the 40# that you were from the 52#, the odds are good that they will be too stiff. If that's the case, then you might be hearing a riser slap due to late paradoxing of the arrow (the arrow not bending enough to clear the riser).

Tuning the bow will either help, or let you know if you have the wrong arrows. Only after that's done, should you start adding stuff to the string.

BTW - also willing to bet a cup of coffee that a lot of the "this little bow fits me like it was made just for me" has to do with it being 12# lighter. Wouldn't be the first time :D

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
different arrows for both the 52 pounder really liked 400 spine terminators with a 125 tip now i am using 1816s with a 125 and 3 4" feathers with a decent helical. i need to loosen up my nocks a bit though they are pretty tight. lol yeah i have a hunch the 12 pounds lighter is really beneficial. im so glad i got into stick and string its so much fun. i may even take the recurve with in the ground blind this year and see if i can rastle up a couple of thunderchickens. how do iknow if the brace height is ok? its a pretty long brace height little bow... i dunno if its to much or not.
sorry for the long posts im new to traditional tackle

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only thing that really bugs me, is i had just painted the old recurve up nuge style. zebra camo with a spearchucker logo. man it was a sweet rig. its a shame

·
Registered
20,338 Posts
b -

Now if you really want a kick in the head (and your budget can handle it), try a 40# bow that's 62" or longer. You might be in for a real treat ;)

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a 45 bear recurve that is 62... maybe i should get it strung up.
i knew i was over spined, but it was what i had at the time

·
Registered
20,338 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts