Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, Ladies

Lets discuss the merits of the way our draws stop

There are many ways the cams stop rotating, let see if we can get the all out in the open and discuss the pros and cons of each method

Hardest to Softest (as far as i know)

Limb stop
cable stop (post on cam hits cable)
cam stops (part of module or cam contacts cable)

(i wont say im that knowledgable so if there are more please add them)

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
post on my upper cam contacts limb bow stops drawing unless your'e a moron then stuff starts getting overly stressed resulting in damage:angel:

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
I'll just say that a draw stop has shown me that it helps with accuracy to the average archer. Back in '00 or so my wife was shooting a Parker Challenger at 50 pounds and 26 inch draw. This bow was a single cam with no draw stop and 80% let off. Her accuracy was OK but was just not consistent. We later got her a BowTech Tec 29 and her accuracy increased incredibly! Her group sizes with the Tec 29 were easily half the size as they were with the Parker and speeds were much faster to boot. She commented that it felt "locked in" at full draw.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the thing that confuses me is mathews hoyt PSE all have bows with cable stops, with post or with module

aside from maybe the spiral, Axe and UF cams, which have a surprisingly hard wall

the other cams are softer walls yet pros shoot top scores with them

and then you have Bowtech (though as of late are going away from limb stops) Elite, Athens, NB, Strothers, all with limb stops

I know the big companies can afford big shooters, but is there something that makes cable stops more accurate? more forgiving? more ________?

or is a limb stop better?

Do limb stops make novice or less experienced archers better by creating that rock hard wall?

·
Registered
132 Posts
A good wall must be hard as concrete.

So the Stop contacting the limb is the way to go IMO.

All the rest feel spongy. :darkbeer: But I read that some people like spongy walls?

After shooting an Elite XLR and GT500, the wall on the Vantage Elite, AM, CM an Bears felt...not right :D

When I shoot my Bear right now, I dislike the wall. I always pull through, do not relax. The limb stops felt like a dream in comparison.

Cant wait for the Cyborg to get here :p

·
Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
The cam/module should catch the cables for the best tuning response. Then you can add a stop for either limb or cable to harden the wall. My 08 Commander is the most accurate and easiest bow to tune and that is the way it is set up. Just my .02. :shade: Which is all that matters BTW. :D

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The top pro's that are shooting soft walled bows are not using back tension to set the shot off! The ones that do use back tension will all something to the cam to make the wall more solid!

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
I'll just say that a draw stop has shown me that it helps with accuracy to the average archer. Back in '00 or so my wife was shooting a Parker Challenger at 50 pounds and 26 inch draw. This bow was a single cam with no draw stop and 80% let off. Her accuracy was OK but was just not consistent. We later got her a BowTech Tec 29 and her accuracy increased incredibly! Her group sizes with the Tec 29 were easily half the size as they were with the Parker and speeds were much faster to boot. She commented that it felt "locked in" at full draw.
I agree, helps with consistency.

Kev
<><

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Just thoughts...

With some of todays cam styles I think that limb stops are necessary to prevent someone from 'overdrawing' the bow and locking it up (very dangerous).
I also think that limb stops are great for novice archers because they may not have developed the proper form and technique to draw to the same point each time and the stop gives them the solid wall to hit.
Also - for someone that is using the bow only for hunting - it gives you a positive anchor when your excited, bending, kneeling, trying to shoot around a tree, etc...
For an experienced archer - I dont think the 'solid wall' thing is such a big deal. Especially for a target bow. If your form is perfect and repeatable - you are your own 'stop'.
Look at all the Pro Trad archers that will out shoot most of us normal boys with dual limb stop compounds ...

·
Loving Me Some Spirals!
13,471 Posts
Maybe the discussion of double vs. single stops should be talked about too.

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
I like limb stops better,once get used to it ,it´s hard to like a bow with a soft or spongy wall,I have my bow factory equipped with one draw stop at the top cam ,but I installed one at the bottom cam as well, for an even harder wall.Shot a couple 2010 bows in the last weeks and all of them without limb stops felt uncomfortable to me, while at full draw.
Also while shooting a BT release I feel it´s easier with the hard wall and the exact draw length provided thru it.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
My first (and only so far) bow with a limb stop is my Alien X. It's like trying to move a concrete wall. It just doesn't move! When I shoot my dual cam Ultratec with mod stops, it feels a little soft. When I shoot my single cam Ultratec with a single cable stop, it feels like mush.

I love limb stops for the wall, letoff and drawlength adjustments.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Once you've shot a bow with draws stops that rest on the limbs it's hard to go back. The hard wall and exact draw length inspires confidence.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I agree with most everyone else on this thread. The limb stops on my Athens are great, then I shoot my Mathews and just can not get settled in at full draw because it is so spongy.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
alright it seems as though the general concensus is that limb stops are better, for novices and possibly anyone.

Why is it that none of the big 4 (PSE, Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech) use limb stops and none of the tournaments feature what seems as the superior way of stopping the draw?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Stopping the draw against the limb on a Hybrid cam system might be much different than on a Binary or single cam. That may be why we haven't seen one on a Hoyt or PSE? The cable system needs to be "missed" when using a draw stop to the limb.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stopping the draw against the limb on a Hybrid cam system might be much different than on a Binary or single cam. That may be why we haven't seen one on a Hoyt or PSE? The cable system needs to be "missed" when using a draw stop to the limb.
WWAG

no big deal, my strother is a hybrid and has 2 limb stops.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts