Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
G5 killing machine
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering if this deer could be starving or have a disease. Right now I'm in pa working on stuff as we are moving. I called home and was talking with my friend and she told me that last night there was a young deer out back behind the barn. She said it was walking in circles and not acting right. She said she could walk right up to it and rub it and everything. She said it followed her and all. She said it looked like it hasn't had food or anything, and that it was that bad looking. She said she called DEC and he came out and said a rehab center wouldn't even take it. He said it is a 4 1/2 year old, but very tiny. He also said it was blind in one eye. He is going to put it down and have sent off to do test. Just wondering what you guys think is going on with this. My friend said that the deer was in very very bad shape. Like if you were watching animal planet with those mistreated dogs. DEC said a deer that age should be that tiny. It should be taller than what that one was. Here is a pic.

HPIM1778.jpg

HPIM1780.jpg

·
G5 killing machine
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone at all? These pictures where taken today. My friend was right next to this deer with the DEC officer when she took these pictures. Just wondering what you guys think could be wrong with this deer. And if we have anything to worry about as far as it having something.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
looks like he had a rough winter and he is shedding his winter coat. JMO

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
there is definetly something wrong with that deer. Animals are just like people, sometimes one just isnt right..........

·
Registered
90 Posts
also looks to me like it just had a rough winter and is shedding its coat. i had a neighbor that had i deer just like that it was short and it was a 3x3 he shot it and he had test done on it and they said it was genetics or it was missing something that makes them grow ( like a person can be born without a thyrode)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
That deer has had a rough life all along. The body never matured to normal size while it's head grew close to normal size. I really have no idea what the problem is here.
I've seen hoof rot keep an animal from feeding well and causing a sickly animal, but that's not likely the case with this deer.

·
hunt or be hunted
3,953 Posts
just the fact that your friend was able to walk right to it tells you that something is wrong . could have been born this way , how old was it?

·
G5 killing machine
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The DEC officer said from looking at its teeth, to be about 4 to 4 1/2 years old. He did put it down, then had put it in a plastic bag to be sent off. My friend said that the deer was drooling, but not like a foamy drool. I guess like bably drool. Not sure how to describe it. Here is another of the deer, hope the DEC officer doesn't get mad for me posting his picture. If so I'll gladly remove it. Also he said that it looked she may have be prego and that she had losted the baby. By looking at her teets. If you look under her right eye that is a scar and thats the eye she was blind in.

HPIM1779.jpg

·
Back down to ground level
15,881 Posts
My dog walked around in circles after having a stroke and acted funny. could be something wrong internally putting stress on the deer. jmo.

·
hunt or be hunted
3,953 Posts
sounds like a very unfortunate life for that deer
very unusual to come across one like that
glad to hear it was put down and sent to the labratory for testing

·
hunt or be hunted
3,953 Posts
yea me to the last thing you wanna see some ginetic mutation in the gene pool thare

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
Chuck Norris would know what to do........

·
G5 killing machine
4,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As far as genetics go, do you think she has put a few fawns on the ground being at her age? I wonder if they look like her and if they are still alive. Hard part I think would be trying to figure out if they have a genetics problem if they look health. Being small like her that is. Is there anyway for me to find out if this deer has something after the tests have been ran on her? I'm sure if I call they probably won't tell me anything.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Deer is definately sick. Looks like it is starving. Hope that what it has is not going to be spread to other deer. Keep up updated on what the test results come up with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts