Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do with your deer carcasses to get rid of them? That can be challenging if you live in town or in the city. Just curious. I live in the city for about 2 more weeks. Then I'm moving to the country and it won't be an issue anymore.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Bag em up head legs in one bag
ribs in another
hind quarters in another and go to an appt complex and dump em.....Use the cover of the night because people do not like deer carcasses in their trash!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yeah I have that same problem. If I shoot one up north and get it all cut up I just throw it in the woods of course but in the city I put it in a black garbage bag and toss it :zip: I cant do anything else with it!

·
The pugs keeper
5,959 Posts
pretty sure they would fine you if you dumped them in the woods, or at least they would if you dump them in a roadside ditch for littering. plus, it just looks bad for all the hunters around. lots of nonhunters dont mind us, but when there out walking fefe the dog and fefe comes back with a leg bone, it tends not to go over very well. just my .02

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
pretty sure they would fine you if you dumped them in the woods, or at least they would if you dump them in a roadside ditch for littering. plus, it just looks bad for all the hunters around. lots of nonhunters dont mind us, but when there out walking fefe the dog and fefe comes back with a leg bone, it tends not to go over very well. just my .02
I doubt they would fine you for leaving it in the woods...yes I agree dont leave it in the ditch...but if they fined you for leaving it in the woods I think there would be alot I mean alot of fines each year...I mean the carcass gets eaten...birds coyotes other animals and bugs...it doesnt get wasted

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
When I lived in town they went in garbage bags and in the trash can. Now that I'm back in the country I have a spot in the timber where I put them. Between the coyotes and buzzards the onlt thing left after a few days is bones.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Wanton waste would be the only reason they could fine you for leaving a deer you shot in the woods, but it would only qualify for that if you left the whole carcass. Just hide and bones with meat removed is no possible fine unless left in a side ditch then that would be littering.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've bagged them up and set them to the curb for the trash guys. I usually do the apartment complex dumpster - we actually have a dumpster we have named "The Deer Dumpster." Thanks for the response here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I try to find a dried creek bed. There is usually a few scavengers around a creek bed like possums, skunks, birds etc. Then when it eventually rains the remains (by then bones and such) simply wash away.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
dump them in the woods when I can, but I've had to bag it and leave curbside a couple times when it wasn't convenient... seems like a waste to send to the landfill.

but, when I see a carcass in the ditch, I always think "poacher" whether it's valid or not... I'm betting most non-hunters think the same thing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Leave it in the woods because the bears and coyotes like them. If you have a friend with a field and a coyote problem then they make a great long lasting bait pile.

·
Resident Philosopher
11,625 Posts
leave em in a shopping cart in the Walmart parking lot unbagged and watch the excitement

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Or you could do like a lot of people around here, just drive around the country, find a nice quite spot and throw it out. They usually end up off the bridge in our creek. And the game warden usually gets notified, looks for a tag, and tickets them for littering if possible.

I know I will hear plenty of people say what does it matter but 1. You are not the one that ends up down wind of a stinking carcass. 2. With the poaching problems we have had who knows for sure where it came from.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I cremate every one of my deer and keep them in an urn on my fireplace mantle.

·
Registered
211 Posts
In Iowa you can put them in the regular garbage as long as they are bagged. It is littering to throw them in the ditch or off a bridge. It is also 5th degree theft to put them in someone else's dumpster without their permission. It's called theft of services, since they pay to have that garbage removed. Since I don't love in town, I have no garbage service. I have a spot on my property where I bury any remains I have.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Remains stay in the woods. Game Law state's that all edible portions must be removed.
The Mulie I got this year lasted 2 days untill the coyotes cleaned up the whole scene...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts