Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to vent.. Earlier in the week I went to sit in a stand I have on a small piece of state land. It is in a large cotton wood off of the deer's staging area, and not far from the paved road.( small section of land, but stuffed w/ deer). I get there around 4:00pm cuz the does sometimes begin to move early. I am not there to harvest any does. ( i have a land owner that lets me hunt whenever I want so I harvest all my does there, because he asked me to because of the high numbers he has) To make a long story short, around 7pm some dude pulls up and parks on the road.. gets out in street clothes, throws on a guilly suit ( not paying attention to sent or wind) and begins to stroll out into field spooking all the does.. Not a big deal at this point because I know he cannot see me, and its public land.. He walks under my stand, and I got his attention, so he would know I was there. He said sorry and moved on....well I thought thats what he would do. Instead of that he walks 30 yards from my stand and squats down near a bush..This is where he stayed till dark...around 8:30.. Have some respect!!!! If someone is already there MOVE ON AND GIE EM SOME SPACE!!! Needless to say, didn't see any of the bucks that night that i have on trail camera.. When I got down I was nothing but polite to him, and said nothing about him sitting so close... What would you have done??? I now have to put another lock on my stand to lock the platform in the up position, cuz I just know that ding dong will try and use it!! UGH!!! I thought they taught in hunters ed on how to respect other hunters! He must have been sick that day!!:mg:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Na, He just dont care, Or he may not have a hunters safety cert.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Sounds like you are hunting REALLY close to the road on public land. What else would you expect???

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
There is nothing you can do about it. I would have had a conversation with him and tried to find out what his routine is on scent control and made a few suggestions because he will be back. Now that he has seen you there, he will think its a good spot and hunt there again.

I would definitely lock your platform up. People don't care if its theirs or not, they will use it. And there are guys on here that would sit in your stand too, so be ready for someone to tell you that you are claiming public land.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew it would happen eventually! And yea It's REALLY close to the road, and houses. The stand is only about 100 yards from the road.. The land lay out kinda forces that on to me, but there are some HUGE bucks in there.. I just wish he would respect other hunters. If the roles were reversed I would have backed out and went to the other end of the property or something!:confused:

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Exactly how big is this property?

Is it possible he went to the other end first and ran into another hunter and moved and then ran into you? If that was the case maybe he figured he was SOL and his only chance was to just squat down and hope for the best?:noidea:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I know I was the only one in there cuz where my stand is in the field I can see w/ binos, all the way down to the other end.. It's about 200 yards wide by 400 yards long...REALLY SMALL... I don't want to give out any more info cuz there might be some locals on AT and I would like to keep it under wraps cuz until this year I have only known of 2 other people who hunt this, and one is a friend of mine.. This year I have seen 2 new hunters in there. You know how it is.. you tell one guy with a big mouth and your honey hole turns sour!:sad:

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
"Pssst...hey! Hey!.....could ya move a LITTLE further away please?!?!"

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He was close enough that at one point a doe walked on the trail between us ( and she knew someting was wrong, I think she could smeel him) If I had WANTED to shoot her I couldn't because he would have been right in line of sight of my arrow!:mg:

·
Registered
793 Posts
I would've started talking to myself very loudly speaking jibberish with a few "man-loins" and freaky giggles, all the while staring directly at him without blinking...:mg:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
That is the nature of the beast on public ground. You would probably be better off to pattern the other hunters because you can bet the deer are.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would've started talking to myself very loudly speaking jibberish with a few "man-loins" and freaky giggles, all the while staring directly at him without blinking...:mg:
LOL! I like that response!!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I guess I would have just said "any way we can work out an arrangement where we can both hunt this area without being right on top of each other".

It's to both your benefits.

If not, find another spot..................

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I would have just said "any way we can work out an arrangement where we can both hunt this area without being right on top of each other".

It's to both your benefits.

If not, find another spot..................
we did talk after dark, and he was a pretty nice guy, I kinda think we will just get along fine in the future if we meet again.. I am always hopeful. No reason getting too upset cuz i understand there is nothing I can do. Might as well keep the peace, and act like adults!

·
Registered
749 Posts
I understand the frustration, I hunt public land and I don't worry about seeing deer I worry about people ruining an area. Really there is nothing you can do except face it. I got a spot that hasn't seen a vehicle since january and come November the road will be trashed again.

I guess me and you ought to chip in and buy our own land.

·
Registered
968 Posts
That along with your avatar makes me think :eek::eek:

Id be outathere like money in the treasury.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Had something ver similar happen to me. I hung a stand a week before the opener. Opening morning I go in before daylight and just as I get to my tree, this guy steps out of a big bush and says...... are you going to hunt there? I said yes I am going to get in my stand. He said well I am hunting right here and I said well so am I . He waited till daylight then wandered off. Its the price you have to pay for hunting public groung with easy access.

·
Banned
7,286 Posts
Public land is just that...public land. If he wants to hunt there it is his given right...deal with it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts