Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I took my nephew and his friend squirrel hunting to check out my ladder and loc on stands while in the same location anyhow...

Nephew Missed 3 grays and got one small red squirrel.. his friend and me didn't get a shot at a critter today leaves fallin' all over with the breeze,so squirrels don't move around much with distractions of leaves as they spook easy thinking it may be a fox or coyote after them as each leave hits the woodland floor... few acorns left fallin' and I almost got nailed with one....

Checked out my upper ladder stand all was safe and as I left it,
Checked the upper loc on location all as I left it last night,Also found a really old lock on that was chained to a tree on the Private property I can't hunt, yet seen it from 20 feet and it's homemade also..3/4x3/4 tube frame and chained to the tree with the gun and bow raising rope rotted into three peices hanging in the pine...

Anyhow Checked my lower area Ladder stand and I could see atv fresh tracks right into the area where the land owner told me not to drive and beat a path...it is a high grass and weedy spot that has a deer trail in it that passes 3 feet from my ladder stand and so I walked the atv trail back in near my stand and can see the guy or guys stopped near my location and walked in the grass some as it was packed down.

I looked straight ahead where the wife and I built a brush,branches and leave ground blind and Not 15 feet to the right of it there stands a huge two seater ladder stand with a camo Apron mounted on the upper rail...And to think there ladder stand is only 35 yards from mine in one of my shooting lanes I cleare out....

after work tomorrow I plan to contact the land owner and ask whom' Might be up on the hill with a atv and placing out ladder stands.... And inform him how they took one of my shooting lanes and Blocked it.. was a new good spot facing into the thorns,also the deer trail it from woodlot to woodlot without cutting threw the wide open weed grass field....

I hope the land owner atless gives me a name so I can call and Personally confront this guy on his choice of placements in the woods... This same stand looks like another on his property thats been in the same tree and location for the past 4 years.. and he never hunted from his other ladder stand the past two years.. and Now if taken over my pinch points...

I think I will try and talk the land owner into havin' all Stands Removed each season so that first come first choice ..as this other guy seems to focus on other stands in the areas and sets right up within' sight of others stands...

And Now my wife can't use the ground blind we built her As I wanted it so I could have her in sight so if I wanted to help her track a deer or to help grunt some in her way from a distance ...

Sorry I am fired up,Just wanted to vent on how some sportsmen disrespect others that hunt this same area...
I have other spots to hunt opening day, other then this ladder stand.... But it's the thought It's a spot we picked out for the wife to hunt and she won't climb a tree,so she is limited to finding brush piles or a deer trail to sit off the edge of..

So I guess I could give the guy a Point by draggin' logs with my atv to block the loggin' road he is using.. so he thinks a bit.

Best wishes all....

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Or maybe just piss the lamdowner off enough so he boots everybody from the property.

I know if it were my land and hunters were bickering over it you would all get the boot.

Try to work it out without involving the landowner.

· Registered
5,351 Posts
Or maybe just piss the lamdowner off enough so he boots everybody from the property.

I know if it were my land and hunters were bickering over it you would all get the boot.

Try to work it out without involving the landowner.
+1

Becareful not to lose everything over it.

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark, Thats a Very Wise and Good Choice.... As Stated I have two other loc on stands on this land and also another ladder stand...

Maybe I will Just Leave a Note in a gallon zip loc and place it on a tree where they would see it, just for them to call me .. As I hate to Climb into anyone elses stand .. As it's Tainting their location and spot and I try to Enjoy and share my time afield and get along with all.. I Just wish The guys would of taken time to atless check with the land owner on whom' may be hunting in the area.. so they could call me and I could just let them know where I have stands if they said they wanted to try the thorns this year , I would of had the heads up to not set up my ladder stand in there....

I will get ahold of the neighbors tomorrow and see if I can maybe Place the ladder on there thick chunch of land..Also work something out to build a small brush pile blind for my wife..

Thanks alot Mark for Pointing it out to me... As a Land Owners Views may be on this Bickerin'....

Best wishes

· Registered
28,629 Posts
Sounds like an invitation to get the boot. But do what you think you must.

· Registered
982 Posts
...so I can call and Personally confront this guy on his choice of placements in the woods... This same stand looks like another on his property thats been in the same tree and location for the past 4 years.. and he never hunted from his other ladder stand the past two years.. and Now if taken over my pinch points...
This goes beyond your personal situation, but "pinch points" are something that ALL competent archers look for and would recognize when they see one. This guy may be a tool for setting up near your blind, but a good area is a good area, and he may have found it in much the same way you did. I can honestly say I've set up a stand and THEN noticed another stand within 30 yards.

I think I will try and talk the land owner into havin' all Stands Removed each season so that first come first choice ..
As mentioned, bringing the land owner into this issue will only work if you're SURE he'll side with you. Chances are he doesn't want to be bothered. Just ask him for a name so you can discuss tactics with the other guy, and then ask him if he realized he set up in your shooting lane. His reply will tell you all you need to know about him.

· Registered
6,628 Posts
I would just ask the landowner if there is anyone else hunting the area. Tell him you just want to know so you don't intrude on anyone and ruin their hunts. Then ask him if he may have contact info for the guys simply because you'd like to get in touch with them to coordinate hunts and stuff as not to intrude on each other.

This way 2 positive things happen..........

1.) He gives you the info and you get to "confront" the other guy. If this guy then calls the landowner complaining then he appears as the pest and problem which means more than likely he will ultimately get the boot, not you. Or possibly the guy simply apologizes to you and tells you that he didn't know you were in the area and you guys can come to an agreement on who is hunting where on what day.

2.) If nobody else should be in there you just helped him out by informing him that he has trespassers on his land and you get a couple of free stands to set up on extra pinch points :wink:

· Registered
1,253 Posts
I would just ask the landowner if there is anyone else hunting the area. Tell him you just want to know so you don't intrude on anyone and ruin their hunts. Then ask him if he may have contact info for the guys simply because you'd like to get in touch with them to coordinate hunts and stuff as not to intrude on each other.

This way 2 positive things happen..........

1.) He gives you the info and you get to "confront" the other guy. If this guy then calls the landowner complaining then he appears as the pest and problem which means more than likely he will ultimately get the boot, not you. Or possibly the guy simply apologizes to you and tells you that he didn't know you were in the area and you guys can come to an agreement on who is hunting where on what day.

2.) If nobody else should be in there you just helped him out by informing him that he has trespassers on his land and you get a couple of free stands to set up on extra pinch points :wink:
I agree. I think this would be the best route for you to take on dealing with this.

· Registered
533 Posts
Be careful how you confront the other hunter especially if you are getting to hunt this land for free. He might decided to talk the landowner into leasing all rights to him and you are out.

As for the ladder stand set up near the brush pile blind, the other hunter might have thought that was what it was a "brush pile" and not a blind.

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good news

Well today just as I was Pulling in to start my evening Hunt.. Two Guys were packing away all there gear and calling it a day to go home and watch a football game... As I walked toward the fella's I said hello and so on and said I'm Scott and have the ladder stands and loc ons up on the hill, they told me their names also and we shook hands.. The Cop was one of the guys and he said he placed that ladder stand there near my ladder stand as he also knew it was a key spot as they harvested a good share last year in that same spot shotgun hunting...
He said he should of atless read my name on my stand and called me first, But oh well.. I told them if they wanted they could use my ladder stand as I may not get to hunt that spot right away.. and he said thanks alot and both seemed pleased..

they offered to allow me and my wife the chance to use the double seater ladder stand they put up if we want.. on days when they won't be in it...and we exchanged phone numbers so We could make plans and Not walk in on each other in that stand area as their is a roadway around it so we can travel to our other spots and not spook each others deer chances...

Glad to of met them..

Okay Onto my hunt today.....Got into my loc on at 12:04 and locked in, 20 minutes later i seen a doe 60 yards away sneaking threw the woods heading north.... Moments later the land owner riding his horse came threw and waved to me and said good luck scottie..

2:20 rolls around and I notice 2 more doe checkin' the open field for others feeding and head back into the woods 80 yards away..

3:02 a 4 point 45 yards northeast of me travels out into the feild at my back and stays 40 yards out from me as he circles my stand and feeds on apples from a small crabapple tree..then heads into the woodlot near my wifes ground blind till 5:05 when he returns and walks that same trail in the field to far for me to shoot, and heading back ..never a shot as I won't risk a deer for a chance that I may hit it or take the risk and not find it.. as I feel okay out to 30 yards with my bow...

6:20 Gather gear and climb outta the stand to stalk my way back to the truck..crossing a large field I jumped two large bucks that was feeding just inside the edge of the field 20 yards in.. never seen them till it was to late....Glad I have one loc on in that area they headed, But I don't have the ladder sticks on that tree.. Oh well...

then as I passed that spot 1 doe and 2 yearlings ran left to right over the travel roadway I was walking.. and neighbors dogs on their butt... I yelled and they turned their additude onto me.. 3 pitbulls,2 boxers and 1 mix breed... I Placed 1 arrow on the whisker bisket.. and Yelled... the owner heard me and called them and 3 of the 6 ran to her voice.. Luckly the last three may of recalled me from before when I petted them and they wagged their tails and greated me.... I Was scared As you hear often of Packs of dogs attacking hunters,family friends and so on... all it takes is one to be short fused to growl and bit and the rest react from the Excitement....

Makes a guy wonder why he can't carry a .22 semi auto while bow hunting.. he he For dogs only...

BEST wishes all..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.