Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about how the Bowtech's were supposed to be fast, I went out and bought a 2003 Patriot with the 70# limbs. Shot it through a chrono and the fastest I got was 258 with the limb bolts cranked all the way. My carbon acc is 28.5" long with a 100 grain field point. Weighs probably between 380 - 400 grains. I don't know what the draw length is set at for sure but I would guess about 28" because it feels too short for me. A friend had a Hoyt Cybertech set at 70# and using my arrow was getting 283.
The bow is fairly quiet and smooth, but for $650 I thought I would get more than this. :mad:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Hey Bart, don't call us - call Bowtech :) maybe there's an issue that needs to be addressed!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Something is WRONG!

I think you need to re-check everything.

I have a 2003 Extreme VFT set at 67#. I have a 28" draw and shoot a 26.5" Beman ICS 400 w/125 grain point (about 360-370 grains). I'm getting 287-293 out of it.

Something isn't right.

Bo

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yep, call Bowtech.......they'll make it right. My '02 Patriot infinity w/ the 25" module shot 250 @54Lbs. w/ 285 grain arrow and magnocks. Bowtech has my bow charted to be [email protected] my DL and 60Lbs. 5 grains/inch.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would first check the Chronograph. Make sure it is working right. Usually check it against another chronograph. I have seen huge diff's between chrony's. I mean, it's just a little check before you go calling Bowtech to fix something that may not be wrong.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My recurve just about has you beat! I would sure give them a call, but I would check the chrony first. Sounds like your speedo may be the problem.

·
Registered
9,860 Posts
Sorry Bart, but why would you leave the dealers showroom after paying him $650.00 for a bow that is too short of a draw length. The dealer should have worked with you more and you should have known what felt right before you bought it. Actually measure the bow's draw length and weight and weigh the arrows to actually know what the bow is shooting. The owner's manual I have says that you should be getting 295 to 303 fps with a 28/ 70 '03 Pat single. What number is the module you have on the bow now?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sounds like you have a screwed up chrono my patriot dually at 70lbs 29" draw and a 368 gr arrow gets 318 fps at 60 lbs it's 285.

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
I would agree with WWAG. If the dealer sent you home with the wrong draw length, I'd not trust his chrono either. What is your normal draw length?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
What did the "Birth Certificate" say it was getting at the factory? Just wondering. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

P.S.
My 2002 PSE Nova, with the Arson cam, gets 260fps at 60# and 28" draw!

·
Banned
1,519 Posts
I would not blame the equipment. You don't know your DL, you don't know exactly what the arrow weighs. So I think it would be safe to assume that this is user error.

Get you arrow weight

Find out what module is installed for DL

and try a different crono.

Look at your owners manual it tells you exactly what speed you should be getting at what DL. If it does not match then look at why. How many brass nocks do you have? Does it have cat whiskers? All these things will slow the bow down. Look in the back of your owners manual and you will see how much loss you will get from adding these things.

If after checking things out the bow is still slow I would call Bowtech, from my dealings with them they have been nothing but nice.

Roger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The "Birth Certificate" must still be in the box that I told the dealer to keep.
The module has a 3 on it , so it must be a 28" draw. I think a 29" might be better for me. When I shot it at the pro shop I was using his release which was quite a bit different than my Freeflight. That's why I left with the wrong draw length.
According to the Easton chart my bare shaft weighs approx. 270 plus the field point would be 370 but I don't know what the fletching and inserts are.
The bow came with 4 rubber silencer's on the string and cable. Other than that just one nocking point and a Tru Peep.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
With a 5 grain per pound arrow at 28" draw and 70 lbs., it would have shipped shooting 295-303 fps.

I would weigh the arrow to get an exact arrow weight, I would also check the poundage of the bow to make sure you got a 70 lb bow and not a 60 lb. bow.

Get the birth certificate (for this bow) and see what it came shipped to the dealer at, it should have the serial number, draw weight, draw length and the speed it shot with a 5 grain per pound arrow, and the testers initials documented on it.

You should also be sure the draw length hasn't been altered by the dealer and make sure the draw stop is set up properly for the module that's in the bow.

Regards, Pat

·
Registered
925 Posts
Bowteh speed

My partiot single cam gets 294 with a 3-49 acc at 368gr. set at 68lbs. 29" draw. Fast, smooth and accurate! I too think you have something amiss or contact Bowtech and they will make it right. Oh, by the way my bowtech won the tmsr class at snowshoe worlds this year . Yours in archery, rcher

·
Registered
705 Posts
Bowtech Speed

My 70 lb Extreme VFT with a 27" draw, shoots a 332 grain arrow at 295 fps. I have shot a 373 grain @ 280 fps. My birth says certificate 306 fps, I couldn't be HAPPIER with my Bowtech.
Joey

·
Registered
496 Posts
Bart the bow should not be that far off. If like you said a cybertech shot the exact same arrow thru the same chorno and got 283 then something is wrong. If it was a similiar arrow and a differnt chrono then you need to check it thru a different chrono. One thing I would check and make sure you have 70 pound limbs on the bow and not 60.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems like you may be shooting way too much arrow if your draw length is only 28". I have a Tech 29 and my drawlength is 28 also and I'm shooting a 25.5" arrow and up well in the 300's pulling 70#'s. Then again I don't know what the brace height for those Patriots are. I've heard some other really good things about the patriots. Sorry your not satisified with it. Hope you find something you like...

·
Registered
829 Posts
patriot

I shot my bowtech patriot dually, at the field the other night, just set the nock pint and centre shot 50lb limbs 29-inch cartel arrows, and I got 275 f.p.s, birth certificate says 285 f.p.s. Well happy with that :D

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
Always keep in mind that there are many ways to manipulate the figures on a conagraph speed test. To test the speed comaprison of bows they need to be the same draw length, same arrow, good working conograph, a very accurate weight scale, and a way to make sure no one changes the setting on the conograph. I have seem people use bows that have 20% let off and claim it is a standard model bow. An extra pound, a little extra draw length, a string with less strands all make a difference.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts