Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best distance for paper tuning? I have heard different distances to start at and was wondering what is the best distance to give you a true reading of how your arrow flight is. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
This is a quote from the "Easton Tuning Guide":

"3. Stand approximately 4 to 6 feet (1.2-1.8 m) from the
paper"

Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

P

·
0 Posts
Bullet Hole....At What Distance Though

The only problem with paper testing at any ‘one’ distance is it only shows what the arrow is doing at that particular distance. I went through this last week when I was setting up a bow. It shot paper perfect at 6’-8’ but at 5 yd it had a bad left tare. At about 10 yd it had another perfect tare but at 15 yd it had a right tare. I could easily make it shoot a bullet hole at any ‘one’ distance but the trick was to make it bullet hole at ALL distances. I finally got it but if I had stopped after shooting just from 6-9 feet it would have never shot right.

A person needs to shoot from 2 yd all the way back to 20 yd in about 5 yd increments to really tell what the arrow is doing. If the arrow is flying straight and true at ALL distances, then you know you have it tuned. :)

Hope this helps.

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
Preacher is correct. I set up a compound many years ago that shot a perfect bullet hole at 8 feet. Yet, the arrow flight looked crappy at 20 yards. Sure enough-at 11 feet had a left tear-a couple feet later it was right.

note you can sometimes get false readings from paper tuning-In my experience, a stiff launcher will often give you a false reading on your nock set location

·
Registered
674 Posts
I tune at 3ft, 6ft , and sometime back to 20ft. Generally I start at 3ft, make adjustments, then 6ft. I will then go and shoot groups.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Really new to this, but is it really possible to get straight arrow flight all the way to the target? I thought that arrows flexed and shimmied during the whole flight. If that's true, then wouldn't you get different tears at different distances?

Like I said, though, I'm completely new to this.

-Walkman

·
Registered
674 Posts
Arrow will flex right out of the bow, the straighter the arrow is as it leaves the bow the quicker it will stablize. Any decent quality bow should be able to produce a bullet hole at 6', most will do it at 3. Remember that a bullet hole through paper is not holy grail of bow tuning, but just a step in getting everything as "perfect" as possible to create the most forgiving setup.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Tune to a slight high/left (right-handed archer) at 3 feet; move to 5-7 yards and check for near bullet hole or bullet hole; recheck at about 12-15 yards for perfect bullet hole.

·
Banned
736 Posts
rsw is right!

But then again he uses the Magnock system.

But a bullet hole doesn't always mean the arrow isn't flexing. On slow motion video you can see a hard flexing arrow snake it's way through a bullet hole making you think it's not flexing.

With the Magnock on a properly tuned bow you can get bullet holes at any distance without the flexing. Bullet holes beyond 5 yards means better flights, less drop and less planing.

·
Registered
710 Posts
What Preacher said. You should NOT paper tune from any single distance, as the paper tear will only tell you what the arrow is doing at that distance from the bow. Shoot your first arrow from point blank range, then move back in one-yard increments to 15 or 20 yds or so. Keep track of which hole is from which distance. (I shoot from left to right on the paper.) The tears will show you a story on what the arrow is doing as it flies downrange.

For example, a porpoising arrow might come off the bow and immediately tear high, appear perfect at 5 yds, then tear low, then perfect again a 10 yds, then slightly high, and finally perfect from 15 yds and beyond.

You have to make corrections for the first undesirable tear direction. That may occur at point blank range or it may appear more subtley at 6 or 7 yds. Only shooting will tell.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
paper tuning

has anyone ever tried multiple paper frames spaced more than a shaft length apart???

·
Registered
674 Posts
No I haven't, never even thought of it. But that could take quite a bit of time out of tuning. I like the idea. I think I will build me a few extra frame and set that up. You would be able to see the entire flight of the arrow. Thanks for the idea, good post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts