Archery Talk Forum banner

DIY ARROW CUTTER

1088 Views 28 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Road_Clam
Any of you fellow archers have a cheaper way or saw that works without damaging carbon arrows? Don't really wanna spend 150-250 for an actual "arrow saw". Thanks in advance
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Any of you fellow archers have a cheaper way or saw that works without damaging carbon arrows? Don't really wanna spend 150-250 for an actual "arrow saw". Thanks in advance
I use the small cutoff saw from harbor freight. Bought some graphite wheels from Amazon and use painters tape around the shafts to help with a clean cut.

· The Impartial Archer
24,837 Posts
I'd just spend the money.....you'll have 25 - 75 in a homemade setup that's a PITA to use and might not work as well. I bought my arrow cutter in 1992 probably and it's still working fine today. You get your money out of it and it's a onetime buy.

I think I paid $125 1990 dollars for it...............lol. In 2050 you'll laugh at how cheap it was. ;)

· Registered
6,285 Posts
But how straight is the Cut from a DIY Saw? As mention once you have a True Arrow Saw It only takes a few to put on your work bench, plug it in and have at it cutting arrows to length and know they are cut true and straight so when you install either the Nock or Insert they are Square / Never needed a "squaring tool" yet. Bought mine years back for maybe 125.00 sure it is only 5K RPM but I only cut aluminum arrows and that is all I shoot. Nothing to deal with as to getting anything Set and Ready to Cut. Only needed to replace the Cut Off Wheel Once so far but I now only need it for my Arrow Builds so less usage. Sits in the Box it came in way back when. Like the Simplicity to cut arrows to length. It will pay for itself over time especially if you cut a lot of Arrows.
LFM

· Premium Member
8,889 Posts
I used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel for years, mounted in a home grown wooden jig. The arrows/shafts sat on a plywood plank with arrow inspection spinners. It worked fine.

Like anything else in a DIY shop, an arrow saw can be had for a reasonable price, lasts forever, and makes the most uniform cuts, (if the user is paying attention) Most arrow saws can be had for the cost of a dz new shafts.

· Registered
5,244 Posts
I use my dremel on the high speed setting using a diamond cutoff wheel. I mount it to a piece of 90 degree angle metal you can buy from Lowes/HD using a big hose clamp. If you rotate the dremel around you will find a position it fits perfectly flat. I then drilled a shallow hole on the end of a chunk of 2x2 lumber just big enough for the nock to fit in. I attach the piece of 2x2 to the opposite end of the angle metal with a hose clamp and can adjust it wherever I need to in order to get the length I want.

To cut I put the nock in the divot/hole and then rotate the shaft while barely cutting the shaft. They come out very clean and require very little squaring.

Reactions: Pruittfarms

· Registered
166 Posts
I already had a Dremel and all of the material lying around. Now, granted, if fabrication and precision is not your regular MO, then I would suggest purchasing a tool designed for the task. With a little ingenuity, however, most mechanically inclined folks should be able to have something with just a little effort. My suggestion is only to make sure your arrows sit in their holder flush and don’t come to rest on the body of your cutter. Or, leave a little extra and finish with a squaring tool.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for all the info. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy actual arrow saw, saw the carbon Express saw on sale at local shop for 150. Everybody else agree you don't need to square arrow end after using actual arrow saw?

· Registered
5,244 Posts
Thanks guys for all the info. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy actual arrow saw, saw the carbon Express saw on sale at local shop for 150. Everybody else agree you don't need to square arrow end after using actual arrow saw?
I'd square it up anyways. Just takes a few seconds unless you really mess up the cut.

Reactions: ouluckydogu
1 - 20 of 29 Posts