Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 PSE Surge, 70# 30"
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting back into bow hunting after a couple years off, and since the closet bow shop to me is 50 miles away I am trying to assemble my own shop at home and wanted some advice on what equipment I should make sure I have. So far I have a bow vise made out of a wig holder, someone else on here had that idea and it looked pretty slick, a bow master, and I am building an arrow saw out of an old dremel. What are some other items that would be useful/essential to build or buy?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Make a list of all the things you want to be able to do on or to your bow (and arrows). A look through the different forums will be a big help, i,e, bow tuning, arrow building. Bow press, draw board, scale and vise will be essential for mechanic work. For each item of things you want to do, like tie on nocks, install D loop, there will be a number of hand tools (allen wrenches, squares, measuring, etc.) for each of the operations. Once you take on a task you'll learn fast what you need to add to your "I gotta get this" list, whether it be a tool or how to information. It's a process, but well worth the effort. Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 PSE Surge, 70# 30"
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll need a press, I have a bike stand I use to to hold my bow while working on it. Here is my new area I'm building. My garage has a 14' ceiling so this is my elevated archery room. I'll post more pics once I have it finalized. View attachment 7347855
I definitely don’t have a setup like that, my “shop” is more of a corner in the basement. Thanks for the advice, might have to convince my wife we should dedicate more square footage.

·
Registered
2014 PSE Surge, 70# 30"
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make a list of all the things you want to be able to do on or to your bow (and arrows). A look through the different forums will be a big help, i,e, bow tuning, arrow building. Bow press, draw board, scale and vise will be essential for mechanic work. For each item of things you want to do, like tie on nocks, install D loop, there will be a number of hand tools (allen wrenches, squares, measuring, etc.) for each of the operations. Once you take on a task you'll learn fast what you need to add to your "I gotta get this" list, whether it be a tool or how to information. It's a process, but well worth the effort. Good luck.
A draw board is one thing I was going back and forth on. Probably better to have one from everything I’ve been reading in the forums and seeing in YouTube. Having a physical list is a good idea too. I have most of the hand tools already, it’s the larger items I’m trying to figure out. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
888 Posts
A draw board is one thing I was going back and forth on. Probably better to have one from everything I’ve been reading in the forums and seeing in YouTube. Having a physical list is a good idea too. I have most of the hand tools already, it’s the larger items I’m trying to figure out. Thanks for the advice.
A draw board is essential for cam synch and timing for a general tune or string replacement. Try the search bar using DIY home shop. Mobile Bow Shop Station
Lots of well thought out ideas for limited space.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Before I sold my house> i had a 8 x 16 archery/shop. When new house is done Ill have 16x60 archery shop on the back of my extra garage which is 40 x 60 shop.

Reactions: b-a-maniak
1 - 7 of 7 Posts