Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SAVELKSHOOTWOLVES
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of great ideas pass through here for the patented adjustable finger. Decided to make another press using the popular trailer jack. Needs to have adjustable fingers and they have to be cheap. Still waiting for the jack to arrive, but I made and assembled finger units based on ideas provided here. Thanks to all who share and contribute.
Cost me around $30.00 for the fingers(set) to fabricate.Trying to keep total press cost under $100. Used drill press, skinny wheel on grinder, about an hour and a half and this is what came of it all. There not pretty, but funtional. Just another spin on things contributed here. Anyway,
Here’s a parts list:
4- ¾" -10 black(steel) nuts Mcmaster-Carr p/n95479a128 4 - 1/2” fully threaded pipe couplings (sch 160,steel type NOT mallable type)p/n 4513k63
2 - 1/2”x1/2”x12” steel keystock p/n 98830a350 1 - 5/8” machine round stock p/n 8893k19 1 - 2.5”x 5.5”x1/8” flat bar
4 - ¼”-20 x 1.5” bolts with nuts

Drill ¾” nuts out to 5/8”. Do the same with the ½” pipe couplings.
Cut 5/8” machine stock to 6” length
Drill and tap 1/4 -20 adjustable foot for bolt (foot is ¾” in length)
Cut keystock to 6 or 6.5” cut to desired angle and weld 1.5” long keystock to that for keeper.
Or heat it up and bend to desired angle. My acy/ox bottles where empty again so I welded keepers on top.
Weld together with a strong emphasis on keeping them straight and even.
Above parts probable can be purchased at local hardware or farm and ranch store.
Fingers pictured are with 3/8" keystock because it was what I had. Next ones will be built with 1/2" as described.
Will post completed pics when done.
Good luck and KEEP PRESSING ON!!!!;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Looks way good. Thanks for showing us.
Lungblood

·
SAVELKSHOOTWOLVES
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correction

Sorry,
I posted that the nuts holding the rod where 3/4"-10. That's wrong!
They are 5/8"-11 (McMaster-Carr p/n 91845a325)but still drilled to 5/8" I.D.
to accept rod.
Sorry for the confusion:eek:

·
SAVELKSHOOTWOLVES
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Working pics.

Trailer jack has yet to arrive. Couldn't wait any longer. Mounted it to a press made awhile back. Reworked the base to make it bolt onto the arms instead of the weldable plate as pictured before.
If anyone is going to try this please note the piece drilled and tapped 1/4"-20 (adjustable push off piece) should be welded 90 degrees to finger. Also, you will have to use adjustable reamer to oversize for hinge/pivot rod. Or just drill'em out to 41/64".
Low budget fingers working just as well as the expensive proprietary ones!!!;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice work

This is refreshing. I have been looking all over this place looking for fingers or finger designs. I haven't built my press yet, but this type of design is what I was thinking. Nice work.
I was wondering if there would be any clearance issues with bows such as PSE's Omen or Axe series limb designs. Clearance on the Hoyt in the picture looks real close and that's why I am asking.

·
SAVELKSHOOTWOLVES
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Clearance Issues

This is refreshing. I have been looking all over this place looking for fingers or finger designs. I haven't built my press yet, but this type of design is what I was thinking. Nice work.
I was wondering if there would be any clearance issues with bows such as PSE's Omen or Axe series limb designs. Clearance on the Hoyt in the picture looks real close and that's why I am asking.
Sorry, I can't answer your question. Neither myself or guys I know have those particular bows to fabricate fingers for. I agree the clearance to the press arm is a little close. Couldn't sleep so I decided to fabricated another set with dimensions for those interested with a 4" offset to press arm. Gained more clearance with these. Good Luck on your build.
Text in picture is horrible. Here are the dimensions: rise of 1", brake in 45 degrees
run 4.5", brake back 45 degrees, rise of 2", brake in 30 to 45 degrees, run of
.75 to 1". Weld arm TDC of pin sleeve = to 90 degrees from the drilled and tapped 1/4-20 adjustable piece.
:darkbeer:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Question: How did you rework the wedable plate????

·
SAVELKSHOOTWOLVES
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Question: How did you rework the wedable plate????
Cut the 5/8" nuts off 1/8" thick plate, welded them on to 1/2" plate that was drilled and countersunk for 5/16" machine screws.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So the plate is screwed onto the arm of the press?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts