Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a connection to a place to stay in Idaho. We were toying with the idea of a DIY elk hunt but dont know much about the area or actual hunting boundaries. The location is in the Panhandle Zone in the Coeur D Alene River area. What can one expect when hunting this area? What is the elk population in these parts? Would we be restricted to the Coeur D Alene WMA land to hunt or is there other public hunting allowed on any natioanl forests?

Just trying to get better educated about hunting in that area. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I've been to the Coeur D' Alene area many times, it is very steep country but doable as long as you are prepared physically & mentally to hunt it. There is tons of public land access in the area. As you may know it's an OTC unit in much of the area. Wolves abound there like in most of the west central mtns & northern end of the state where you are asking about. The elk numbers are still ok but it won't be anything like the elk shows you see on TV. You will work hard & have to cover a lot of country to locate the small groups they divide into as the rut occurs in Sept. & early Oct. Learn to call within reason & understand the type of country elk live in especially when pressured by other hunters. The country is not what I'd consider "open country" it's rather heavily timbered & brushy this is why calling can be essential for locating purposes! Good Luck!

ElkNut1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts