Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I’m looking for a DIY elk hunt, but I have no idea what to do or where to go. I live in Alabama and I would like to hunt somewhere close. I am willing to travel, but would like to try something as close as possible to start out. Anybody have any good info? What would be the closest states to hunt? What equipment would I need? I’m totally an archery hunter, but not opposed to hunting with a rifle. State? Tags? Public land? I’m totally clueless to the elk hunting business so any info helps! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
The closest state would be Colorado for this year as every other state has already had there draw.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
You can glean tons of info right here from the western board. Start researching, then ask more specific question and you will get a lot more answers (which boot is better, this tent vs that tent etc)

Guys more then likely aren’t going to point you to their honey hole and asking area or unit specific info probably won’t get you many replies.

Tons of public land to hunt elk on, once you have a state and area picked out start looking at google earth and ONX maps to further pin things down.

This is JMO, but I think (some) guys do to much research and finally get out on their first elk hunt and it’s nothing like they expected. The best thing I think a guy can do is to just GO with low expectations of success. Realize your probably NOT going to kill an elk your first trip. You will learn more in 10 days of actually hunting then 2 years of research. I’m not saying don’t do any research, but a guy can get an information overload these days real quick.

You don’t need to spend 10k on elk hunting gear to kill an elk.
Contrary to popular belief, a 600.00 pack will not point you in the direction of a bugling 350” bull. Bring good boots that are well broke in and a strong mind!

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,171 Posts
You can glean tons of info right here from the western board. Start researching, then ask more specific question and you will get a lot more answers (which boot is better, this tent vs that tent etc)

Guys more then likely aren’t going to point you to their honey hole and asking area or unit specific info probably won’t get you many replies.

Tons of public land to hunt elk on, once you have a state and area picked out start looking at google earth and ONX maps to further pin things down.

This is JMO, but I think (some) guys do to much research and finally get out on their first elk hunt and it’s nothing like they expected. The best thing I think a guy can do is to just GO with low expectations of success. Realize your probably NOT going to kill an elk your first trip. You will learn more in 10 days of actually hunting then 2 years of research. I’m not saying don’t do any research, but a guy can get an information overload these days real quick.

Contrary to popular belief, a 600.00 pack will not point you in the direction of a bugling 350” bull. Bring good boots that are well broke in and a strong mind!

^ Good advice.
Secret spot is a myth, those change from year to year.........you just have to lace up your boots and cover some ground.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Great stuff! Appreciate it!

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
The closest state would be Colorado for this year as every other state has already had there draw.
Lol CO is the closest state for everyone it seems ;)

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Great stuff! Appreciate it!

I want to add to that. Study the animal, know the animal. Once you know the animal, finding elk really is the easy part. But as an old friend (Bob Muley) once said, "elk are extremely good at surviving". ;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want to add to that. Study the animal, know the animal. Once you know the animal, finding elk really is the easy part. But as an old friend (Bob Muley) once said, "elk are extremely good at surviving". ;)
Lol, I’ll keep that in mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ok, I’m looking for a DIY elk hunt, but I have no idea what to do or where to go. I live in Alabama and I would like to hunt somewhere close. I am willing to travel, but would like to try something as close as possible to start out. Anybody have any good info? What would be the closest states to hunt? What equipment would I need? I’m totally an archery hunter, but not opposed to hunting with a rifle. State? Tags? Public land? I’m totally clueless to the elk hunting business so any info helps! Thanks in advance!

if you are trying to go this September, I would suggest CO, simply because its OTC elk tags for non-residents. However, if you are thinking about the following season, its pretty hard to beat MT. Although you have to apply for tags, it's pretty much 100% draw success for the general elk tag (which means you can hunt all units that aren't considered special trophy units). what is Nice about MT is that there is more public land than you could imagine and also better potential for big bulls compared to CO.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you are trying to go this September, I would suggest CO, simply because its OTC elk tags for non-residents. However, if you are thinking about the following season, its pretty hard to beat MT. Although you have to apply for tags, it's pretty much 100% draw success for the general elk tag (which means you can hunt all units that aren't considered special trophy units). what is Nice about MT is that there is more public land than you could imagine and also better potential for big bulls compared to CO.
I would love to go to Montana! That would be awesome. It would be next year before I could go so that could be an option. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's a drive for sure but oregon and washington have over the counter tags for archery and a lot of public land. You can also choose between roosevelt's(if it's your first time it can be very very tough going) or rocky mountain elk on the east side.

·
HERD BULL
1,897 Posts
Idaho is the place, all the elk here in Montana went that direction.
Apparently, every forum has an “I’m headed to Idaho” post or 20 this year...
Although tag sales don’t quite show that! Wasn’t all that long ago where we could pick up a second tag on sale Aug 1st for $299. Not anymore :confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts