Archery Talk Forum banner

DIY NASP practice target.

1558 13
We have another new DIY target coming soon. NASP target faces are about 31'' across. Instead of wearing out the center of a target and then replacing the target, there has to be a better way. We have put off making NASP targets because the theme of our targets is long-lasting and inexpensive.
Using the same materials as we do in the Rag Bag, we decided to make blank 36'' skins. If the archer pins their target to the top left of the center they can get well over 1,000 shots before it starts to wear. Then move the target face to the top right of the center and get over another 1,000 shots. Then bottom left, bottom right, and finally in the center. This will give the archer well over 5,000 on just the front. Then turn it around and repeat on the back for another 5,000 shots.
The target comes with instruction to build a fairly lightweight target to stop arrows from a 30-pound bow. If you want to build a target to stop 500 fps bows just build the target 18'' deep. :)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Vendor
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here is my first build.
Since it is being built to stop a 20pound to 30pound bow with limited bounce-outs we built it out of 1''x8'' boards. first I built a box 1'' x8''x36''. I glued, nailed it, and then reinforced the corners with 8''x2''x2''. Then I installed two rope handles. On this one I did a one hole method. It works fine but I like 2 horizontal holes 5'' apart much better.
Rectangle Wood Table Wood stain Easel

· Vendor
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Next I covered the target with a black 55 gallon trash can liner, which I forgot to take a picture of. Then I covered it with the DIY NASP practice skin. Line it up and staple the corners first. Then Staple every two inches. It doesn't have to be tight as it will tighten up once filled.
Rectangle Wood Beige Linens Tints and shades

· Vendor
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
After the staples are in, run a bead of wood glue over the staples to help keep the target from fraying. Then cover I covered it with 2 boards 1/4''x1''x 36'' and two boards 1/4''x1'' by 34''.

This helps keep the staples in place and gives the target a finished look. Do the same on the other side.
Liquid Bottle Rectangle Wood Bottle cap

· Vendor
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
To keep the top board from falling through I nailed and glued wood lath to the lid. I allowed the wood to overlap about a 1/4 inch all the way around. This also makes for a decent handle to remove the lid if necessary.
Hood Rectangle Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior

· Vendor
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is the actual finished target. The second picture shows how the target is to be used if you want it to really last a long time. Attach a cardboard target face to the top left and shoot about a thousand shots. Then move the target face to the top right and shoot another thousand shots. Then move it to the bottom left, then the bottom right and finally in the middle. This will give the shooter over 5,000 shots per side. I doubt many children will wear it out. If they do, instead of throwing the target away like the others, just reskin it for about $25.
Furniture Table Rectangle Wood Audio equipment
Paint Outdoor recreation Art Rectangle Recreation

· Shootin and Cussin
26,967 Posts
Very nice job. As always.

· Vendor
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a great project that one can spend quality time with their child building the target and learning to shoot. Also, a great build for instructors to help their students. ;)

· Vendor
28,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My granddaughters spent the night with grandma and grandpa last night. The oldest one is seven. She just started shooting last Christmas. She wanted to shoot but I had 5 unfilled targets in front of her target. I was going to move them when she said, "Let's just fill them Grandpa". God love her.😘
Sometimes they really don't care what they are doing as long as we are spending quality time together.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.