Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have searched all over the place and seen that carpet is a great option for targets but I wanted something that looked a little nicer than shag carpet. I have been trying to find out what type of material I see at outdoor ranges. It looks like MDF squished together but MDF wouldn't last outside. Does anyone know what it is?

I can get 3/4" rubber mats for cheap and I know that shooting straight into the mat is going to be a bad idea because pulling the arrow out will be annoying but what about cutting the mat into 6" strips and stacking it so that I shoot into the edge of the mat...Has anyone ever tried this? I could put a ratchet on the edge so that I could increase and decrease how much pressure is used to compress the mats together.

Any thoughts would be awesome.

Thanks so much

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
I use horse stall mats that are 3/4" thick as a backstop, and they are a pain to pull an arrow out of.
I get mad everytime I have to do it, I am not sure if what your trying to build is as solid as a stall mat though.

·
Registered
11,836 Posts
I had a full time shop/lanes for nearly 18 years starting back in 1964 thru 82. I used 1/4 inch cardboard, 10 inches wide & stacked. I had a board across the bottom & top & a threaded rod on each end that could be tightened down. Areas that got shot out the most I just removed & added new to the top. This way the cardboard was rotated. It was the best thing I experimented with & least expensive. I ran 4 leagues per week lasting on average 16 weeks. 20 shooters per league (300 rounds) THAT was a ton of arrows plus I average 1 tournament per month too. I see no problem with this outside if you had it enclosed. NO broadheads though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts