Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be a senior in college next hunting season and will be unable to take my annual bow hunting trip in November. I have a few Iowa preference points and am planning on doing a DIY second shotgun season hunt. Since I have limited funds, I am most likely going to be sleeping in my truck. My question is; How can I stay warm at night? I have looked for battery operated heaters and blankets, but have had no luck. I'm looking for any suggestions.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Do you have a topper for the truck? If so then a twin mattress in back with a mr buddy heater will work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Unless you have good private land to hunt save your points and wait until you are out of school and you can come bow hunt.

I couldn't imagine blowing my points to hunt the shotgun season here.

·
can I shoot it?
16,883 Posts
Unless you have good private land to hunt save your points and wait until you are out of school and you can come bow hunt.

I couldn't imagine blowing my points to hunt the shotgun season here.
This^^^^
Save those points. You are asking for a less then ideal hunt second season shotgun DIY in Iowa. The orange army will be out and pushing land hard!!! It will be extremely tough on public land. Also it can get pretty cold second season. It was -10 yesterday morning, not sure what the overnight temps were, it is after second season now but only by a week or so and it can hit those temps during that season. NO ONE wants to be in a cold truck overnight at -10. Even if you are safe by adding a ton of blankets, bags, etc it will be miserable and hunting the next day will suck. Oh course if you do want to blow your points on such a hunt it only helps the residents (me) out by almost guaranteeing the older bucks add another year of antler on.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
I am going to be a senior in college next hunting season and will be unable to take my annual bow hunting trip in November. I have a few Iowa preference points and am planning on doing a DIY second shotgun season hunt. Since I have limited funds, I am most likely going to be sleeping in my truck. My question is; How can I stay warm at night? I have looked for battery operated heaters and blankets, but have had no luck. I'm looking for any suggestions.
If you can swing it with school, def bowhunt

·
Registered
7,646 Posts
Fill up your tank and keep your engine running all night AND sleep in your cab. I've done it...

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
I truck camp all the time, but I have a grand cherokee and pile up some cushions from my outdoor furniture and sleep on top of those with a good bag, I just saw amazon has a heated blanket that plugs into a cigarette lighter that I will have for my next trip, have slept in temps down to 17 degrees, nice thing is I have a remote start so if i get too cold I fire up the jeep, the exhaust pipes stay hot for a while after turning it off too.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Nice thick comforter a good thick sleeping bag and a Mr. BUDDY heater the bigger one that takes two bottles and has power settings.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
I used to sleep in the back of my truck all the time when I was younger for hunting. You didn’t say if you have a cap which I did. I went to Home Depot, bought a double layer of carpet foam and carpet over the foam. Made the bed of the truck soft and comfy as well as added insulation from the cold bed. Then I just bought a quality sleeping bag. Now, They make the Mr. Buddy propane heaters that come with auto shut off if tipped as well as a shut off for high carbon monoxide. If you don’t have a cap, not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
If you are determined to come here and hunt next year during a later gun season then do the late muzzle loader hunt. You can find some food on some of the public spots. Less pressure that way.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I spent 15 years camping in the back of my Ford Ranger. (Aaah, good times....) I pondered various inside-the-shell heating systems, but the thought of being "monoxidized" or "de-oxygenated" kept me away from using anything but a heavy bag. Besides, I realized that the sleeping wasn't the cold part, it was the half-hour getting dressed and eating breakfast that gave me the most problem. Therefore, I bought a propane heater that I put on the tailgate and blasted heat at me while I got ready in the morning. Worked for me!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
If you leave the vehicle running, at the minimum leave the windows cracked. Spend the $20 for a carbon monoxide detector. Even the new 2017 Ford Explorers fleet vehicles we have had issues with exhaust leaks entering the cabin.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If you leave the vehicle running, at the minimum leave the windows cracked. Spend the $20 for a carbon monoxide detector. Even the new 2017 Ford Explorers fleet vehicles we have had issues with exhaust leaks entering the cabin.
Nailed it!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a camper top on my truck, but thought it might be a little warmer in the cab. What do you guys think about that? I have thought really hard about it, and I don't think I'll be able to bow hunt Iowa for at least 5 years anyway, so I don't mind blowing my points right now.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have a camper top on my truck, but thought it might be a little warmer in the cab. What do you guys think about that? I have thought really hard about it, and I don't think I'll be able to bow hunt Iowa for at least 5 years anyway, so I don't mind blowing my points right now.

Then come late muzzy. You can also search for small town crappy motels you probably wouldn’t pay more than 30-40 a night. Totally worth it.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts