Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to bowhunt Southeast Indiana, particularly the North Vernon area this fall. I am looking at hunting on SEPAC, Muscatatuck NWR, Crosley FWA, or Splinter Ridge FWA. Any advice on scouting, hot rut dates, or just DIY tips for a North Carolina bowhunter? I am considering camping or staying in a cheap hotel for a 7-10 day bowhunt the first week or 2 of November.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Went to splinter ridge last year...... way to many hunters and didn't see any good bucks. Very rugged terrain. Gonna try Crosley this year.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I'm up north, so I'm not familiar with those areas, but I do hunt state F&W areas up here...I'd pick the property with the most acreage and one that isnt close to big cities/towns if possible and try to get away and as far back in as possible, while there are some good bucks taken down there, it aint what it used to be and on the F&W areas, pressure, even in archery seasons can be heavy, plus you have other forms of hunting going on at the same time in the same areas .... nothing worse than getting settled in and have some one with beagles come thru chasin' bunnies ... as for dates, any time from Oct. 31st thru Nov. 18th and just pray for cold weather..we've had it many times in the 60's- 70's thru those dates .....

·
Registered
99 Posts
SEPAC is good prior to gun. You do need permission to hunt it so it does keep the numbers a bit lower. Hunted it a handful of times and saw deer every sit. Saw one nice shooter that would have been down with a gun but outside of bow range for me. There is also some quality spots in Jackson-Washington State Park that are a hike but solid producers. Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts