Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a complete machine shop available and need to build a target stabilizer So what would the ideal target stabilizer look like? Would you go for a multi tube like the Hi Tek or a large dia mono tube What material would be ideal carbonfiber , titanium or aluminum? What length? What sort of end weight and any ideas for damping vibration some sort of heavy filler like a dead blow hammer? thanks

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
lots of DIY stabs out here, search this forum for lots of ideas. most of the nicer stabs are made of aluminum. If you are going for target, go long maybe 24 or 27 inches to start with and see what feels right for you. Filling has consisted of everything from poured lead in the end to Great Stuff, sand ... you name it.

one thing for sure - post pics of whatever you end up doing

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi
Have a look at some of the UK archery websites. They are all target focused and sell all sorts of stabs.
Quicks archery, Wales archery, Merlin archery just to name a few.
It should give you an idea of what direction to go.
Phil

·
Registered
236 Posts
stab

im thinking of making a b-stinger looking stab. at a friends shop, im thinking a tube with a diamond plate weight on the end.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
My thoughts are that the ideal stabilizer would have a shaft that is extremely stiff and as small in diameter as possible and as light as possible. All the weight of the stabilizer should be at the tip.

Use a carbon shaft with a spreader in the center and about 4 steel wires which can be adjusted to get the tension up a little to make it very stiff and you will have the ultimate stabilizer. You might could use bicycle spokes and call it the spokeilizer. After you make your first million bucks, maybe you will remember me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The stabilizer that I have been contemplating would be made with 5/8” diameter X .028” thin-walled, aircraft grade 4130 steel tubing. Steel is more stiff for its weight than aluminum and titanium is pretty much out of the question. A 30” length of this will weigh about .44 lbs. I would make a couple inserts out of aluminum and epoxy them in the ends, keeping the length as short as practical. Then machine the ends square and insert a 5/16-24 helicoil or some threaded insert. The stabilizer will weigh about ½ pound, or 8 ounces. Anyone know what a typical target stabilizer weighs before adding weights?

I’m not sure what to do about a counter weight (side bar) yet. I don’t like the idea of a bracket off the front stabilizer hole because it seems to add unneeded weight. I was thinking some sort of weight mounted through the quiver mounting hole to balance the bow.

Jim,

Is a carbon shaft stiffer than steel for its weight?
What do you mean by a spreader in the center to stiffen it up??

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
I don't know if carbon is stiffer per weight than steel. I think that carbon is probably stiffer because steel is fairly cheap compared to carbon and I have not seen any steel arrows.

For a spreader I am thinking of something like the hub of a bicycle wheel but just use one side of the hub and let your shaft run through the center of the hub. You could then attach the spokes to the hub and to a machined piece on each end of your stabilizer rod. You could then put tension on the spokes and make a very light and rigid system. By being open it might even lessen the wind load on the stabilizer. All of this is more than I do when I make a stabilizer. I just take a piece of aluminum tube and use epoxy putty in each end to anchor a 5/16x24 bolt in one end and a couple of 5/16x24 nuts in the other end. But if I had all the machining equipment I might try something special.

·
Truth is often ignored.
995 Posts
Oooh yeah. It's tons stiffer.

Here's my ultrastiff carbon stabiliser.

It's holding 88lbs in the middle there. 33 inches between supports.
It has an internal dampener made from a bass guitar string dampened with wool strands tied to it.

It's sagging about 9mm or so, so about 3/8ths of an inch.

It looks like this in the sunlight with the clearcoat over it.

And like this in the shade.

The full details of it's construction along with drawings can be found here

http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread.php?t=25273

As a side note, the company producing the tubing told me that what I have is their least stiff tube. I could have something significantly stiffer if I wanted to pay up.
I think that I already have the worlds stiffest stabiliser already..

So why bother? :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts