Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has made some? Pics? I’m thinking about trying to make one for my bow but not sure where to start.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I made one for my bow. I used carbon tube that I already had from another project. The tube came from China and was purchased on eBay. It is inexpensive. I have a metal lathe, so I turned my own plugs for each end. I used aluminum on the weight end and Delrin on the end connected to the bow. To dampen any vibration, I cut a couple of groves into the plugs and then used rubber orings between the plug and the carbon.

It seems to work pretty well. I had a factory made stabilizer that was made from some larger carbon tube and I just could not get the weight down as low as I wanted it, so I made my own. I was mainly needing a stabilizer that was about 9" shorter, so that was what I accomplished with this build.

I'll have to take some pics of it to post later, but it turned out pretty decent. If you want to make one, go for it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
These are a few I made out of some old busted arrows. Goes from about 24 inches down to 15 inches. Used spacers for weights. They work amazingly and it was a great way to reuse broken arrows

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
These are a few I made out of some old busted arrows. Goes from about 24 inches down to 15 inches. Used spacers for weights. They work amazingly and it was a great way to reuse broken arrows

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
What did you use for endcaps?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Made this one out of an old R/C helicopter tail boom. machined some aluminum ends for it and a quick disconnect, fender washers for weights.
20190504_140715.jpg 20190504_140622.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've heard that used before. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I did one out of old standard diameter arrows. A 3/4" cap would fit 7 arrows snugly inside the cap. 1 in the middle with 6 surrounding it. I built one like that. Left the insert in the middle arrow to use for mounting the weights. Ill post pic here shortly. 1/2" cap looked too small to use.
Made this one out of an old R/C helicopter tail boom. machined some aluminum ends for it and a quick disconnect, fender washers for weights.
View attachment 6821851 View attachment 6821855
That looks dope. Great job.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Here is a few that i made.

One made out of old arrows. 11.5" long.

The other 2 are copper tubing. Just need to figure out the weights. 1 is about 9" the other is 23".

I got another one made with schedule80 pvc but its almost too heavy to use.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have a metal lathe so did same as others made the ends and got a length of carbon fiber tube - easy long rod. I made the ends out of 303 stainless, machined the weights as well. There is not much to a stabilizer, baffling to me the ones that cost hundreds (great for the companies that make them if people will pay that).
Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
So from these examples, what you need for a good stabilizer is a fairly stiff and low weight shaft to move as far as possible the weights from the riser. So something like a pvc tube filled up with those low weight fiber markers used to mark the streets in the winter would be good to make a long stabilizer ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
So from these examples, what you need for a good stabilizer is a fairly stiff and low weight shaft to move as far as possible the weights from the riser. So something like a pvc tube filled up with those low weight fiber markers used to mark the streets in the winter would be good to make a long stabilizer ?
That solution is going to weigh a lot. If your not looking for essentially free materials then start with a length of carbon fiber tube from eBay likely cost $30 or less. End product will be much better than a pvc tube stuffed with other tubes - which by the way will not really stiffen it much unless you glue in place etc etc. buying a piece of carbon fiber tube should allow you to come up with a stabilizer that will rival expensive commercial ones.
Paul

1 - 20 of 62 Posts