Archery Talk Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took 4 old arrow shafts I had laying around that were the wrong spine for my current bow, and I shot some spray foam insulation in them. I have access to a 3 axis mill and lathe at work, so I turned down a couple of aluminum ends, and epoxied in the 4 arrow shafts. I used a scrap piece of plastic to make a weighted slider that I can use to adjust the balance of my bow. It works fairly well, but I would make it shorter if I could do it again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took 4 old arrow shafts I had laying around that were the wrong spine for my current bow, and I shot some spray foam insulation in them. I have access to a 3 axis mill and lathe at work, so I turned down a couple of aluminum ends, and epoxied in the 4 arrow shafts. I used a scrap piece of plastic to make a weighted slider that I can use to adjust the balance of my bow. It works fairly well, but I would make it shorter if I could do it again.

View attachment 7396299
damn this is very impressive.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Who has made some? Pics? I’m thinking about trying to make one for my bow but not sure where to start.
If all you want is a weighted stab, then it can be done easy.

Get some fully threaded stainless rod of the right size and thread to screw into your stab bushing and then get 2 bolts that fit. Screw one bolt down to where it leaves a short length to screw into riser and snugs to riser. Thread stainless washers on it and then cap that with another bolt and then cut off the rest of the all thread. You can use whatever size washers you want and make it whatever length. I put 2 part epoxy in between each washer so that there wasn't any chance of vibration noise. You can even put a double threaded piece (don't know name) on the end so that you can thread a short doinker on the end of it.

I did this years ago to make a short, heavy stab for a hunting recurve, and it worked okay. By the time I bought all that steel and spent the time, it would've been cheaper to just buy one.

I don't know if what you want to do is something basic like this or if you want to go all out and try to replicate one of the higher end stabs.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
OK if you got this far into this thread you probably already know how a stabilizer works but I am surprised at how many new Archers are unfamiliar with how important a stabilizer can be. So here is a video I did a while back to illustrate the point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With carbon fiber tubes I can see making a variable weight and distance attachment to test the possible best fit. Sort of slide fit until the best combo is found and then cutting to make it perminant.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts