Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The grey cover is Home Depot Eco Foam I had lying around, the target box is filled with about 80lbs of cotton rags. I cut a cover to go over the top hole and caulked it in place.

The blue tarp is bungied over the box when I'm not using it. We've had monsoon rains and hail, it's bone dry. All of the wood is waterproofed with 2 coats of Minwax "Helmsman".

The wheels are 8" solid rubber, which work OK in the grass but I couldn't find any air-filled knobby tired ones, which would be better (fortunately I don't move it much). The two in the back are fixed, the two in the front rotate and have locking mechanisms on them.

My arrows penetrate about 6-7" through the box and stop fine. Simple to remove. I didn't put a compression bar because I didn't think I'd need one with all that cotton, and so far I don't. I've probably put about 300 arrows into it so far.

The attached plans are for Google Sketchup, which is a free program you can download.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great target

That looks great, looks very professional! How much would you estimate the materials to cost for somebody looking at making one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, let's see. I used:

3-4 2x4s
1 sheet of 1/2" G1S plywood
2.5" deck screws
1.5" deck screws
4 rubber wheels
80lbs of cotton rags from auto supply store
1/4 box of staples
20 sq ft of foam

You could do the traditional chickenwire + landscaping fabric, or you could fill the box with 10" of layered foam boards instead, skipping the whole covering process entirely. I might try that next when I eventually have to rebuild this target just to see the difference.

If you have to store-buy all the materials, maybe $150 or so. Most of my materials I had lying around. Many factors you could change up to keep costs down, like skipping the wheels and just getting a son/buddy/neighbour to help you move it. The important part is the wood frame and box, and that's cheap. Maybe $30-40 to make that, max. If you and a buddy went in on building a pair of targets or more, the costs go down more since you are reusing waste material.

I should list the tools I used to make this one. You could do this with hand tools only, but as usual power tools make things go lots quicker.

- Chop saw
- Table saw
- Jig saw
- Circular saw
- Drill + bits
- Stapler
- Belt sander
- Screw gun
- Paintbrush
- Measuring tape
- Straight edge
- Wood glue

I've already got another DIY idea rattling around in my noggin, so stay tuned for another thread. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The foam was from Home Depot, in the carpet section. I stretched it out super tight all the way around, so when I filled it full of rags it only bulged an inch or two. When you've been shooting it for an hour it tends to bulge out the back a bit around the strike zone, so I either just push it back in with my hand, or flip the target around and shoot some more. :D I should note I painted the 5 target dots on both sides, the target is reversible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One thought, why did you not use treated lumber, especially for the feet and the legs?
Because all I had was regular lumber on hand. :D

The wood is all sealed up, and the feet don't actually touch the ground because they are on 8" wheels, so the moisture contact will be rain only, not wood -> earth. You can't see the wheels very well in the pic because of the tall grass, but they're there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts