Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to build my first trail cam or game cam home brew. Based on my research and experience I would like to use the s600. My uncle has a s600 home brew that he bought that is awesome. Anyways, I have seen the videos for the hacks and how to build but I haven't found thread that talks about everything I would need to get started. If anyone could let me know that would be extremely helpful!

·
Registered
480 Posts
The S600 is a very good all around camera. Welcome to the home brew hobby. If that link above doesn't answer all of your questions, be sure to ask and some one will gladly help.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,243 Posts
If you are going to build an s600 I would make the following suggestions...

Be sure to do a 6-wire hack on the camera - 4 to control the camera, 2 for external power
Charles has a good tutorial here and there is also an easy to follow PDF on Mark' site...
http://www.yeticam.com/Manuals/Modification document for the Sony DSCS600 Version 2.pdf

Use the customized fast mod s600 board from Mark at Yeticam with the PIR raised - it reads (HPWA (1/4" PIR Horiz, Back Mount) on his website (yeticam.com)

Use 1/2" standoff's (you can find them in just about any hardware store - (the local ACE and True Value both carry them here)

Use the HPWA fresnel from Gary and pull the foam ring out it

Lastly - I would install a microswitch - I solder mine, on a lead, directly to the board, but there are other ways to do it - the micro- switch allows you to make adjustments to the cam very easily - it seems like you are just cutting your teeth with this build and without a microswitch adjusting some of the cam setting can be frustrating. Basically all that you want to do is be able to jump the shutter and the shutter common. You could also twist your wires together and install them into the terminal block. I shy away fromm this for two major reasons, first I do NOT secure the microswitch to the case. I choose to keep it on a short lead and I do this because if the unit ever needs repair or component replacement the switch can be accessed and manipulated very easily without having the risk of damaging additional components. The second reason I choose the solder method as opposed to the "twist and terminal block connection method", is because I choose to the leave the switch on a lead - I don't want anyone pulling the connections loose from the terminal block. Here is a pic of the labled solder points.

Here is brief clip of an operational video of an s600 highlighting the microswitch....the full video can be seen in the Helpful Hints section of the12-ring.com
(FYI - I didn't want to take the time to edit this clip further, the "important "info" starts at roughly 1:20...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZpb-zi3oK0

Hope this info helps, and again they are just my recommendations, certainly not gospel - but everyone who has accepted one of these units, with this general design, has been very happy.....

Good luck and be sure to keep us all posted on your progress....

Joe

like Tony sid the s600 is a great cam and you're going to love the pics...

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Like they said above. Ask lots of questions and research some trouble shooting threads too. These guys are great at helping out.
I love my S600 and I had lots of stupid questions that these guys were great at helping with.
Good luck.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Only if you're experienced in very fine soldering.

If not, then start with a cheap camera first to get the feel of it.
Why......S600 needs soldering on the block or power bar,...I have done a few without any problem after I have done a couple of P32 which doesn't need soldering on the camera, use the shutter assembly and solder this first.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I will hack your S600 for free if you need me too. Anything to help you out. The S600 is a somewhat difficult hack for it to be your first one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help. The following is what I purchased so far: 1inch forstner drill bit, diagonal cutting pliers, scotch tape vinyl electrical tape, s600, s40, pelican mossy oak mcro case 1040, pelican 1050 black case, camera flash gasket (bfoutdoors, shutter and flash hole glass (bfoutdoors), case seals (bfoutdoors), flash enhancer (bfoutdoors), mounting tape 5x5, battery holders (4AA, 2AA, 1C, 1D all with 6" leads), servo connector 4 position 26/30 (bfoutdoors), Servo connector 3 position 26/30 (bfoutdoors), prealligned wide angle bracket (bfoutdoors), BF trail camera controller, yeticam controller, high performance wide angle lens (snapshot sniper), 1-1/4 Round Glass (snapshot sniper)
I think that is everything I bought. Anything else anyone can think of? I will have to pick up a microswith (although I don't know what that does), any suggestions on a spray in foam for insulation inside the camera? What to mount the camera to the tree with? What to mount the actual camera inside the housing with? Thanks again for the willingness to help and any pictures, links, or videos.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, fireman thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it if I can't figure it out. I'll let you know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This might be a really dumb question but is the microswitch something you buy or something you create?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will hack your S600 for free if you need me too. Anything to help you out. The S600 is a somewhat difficult hack for it to be your first one.
Also, fireman thanks for the offer! I might take you up on it if I can't figure it out. I'll let you know when I start trying to put everything together

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Those pictures a great! 3 questions: How much does it cost for all the parts and about how much time does it take you the first time and how much does it take you, once you have done a few?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
you will also need a 1 1/4" forsner if your going to countersink the glass , angled aluminum for a shelf to put the camera on or what ever material you choose to use for this, pipe through if you plan on being able to lock it to the tree for security . steel cable or python cable lock to keep it there , bungee cord for mounting . I decided to not use the pyton cable lock on mine as that thing is huge . I used a aluminum arrow to run through my case to save some room in the case and use looped ends steel cable and use a chain to lock it on with to mek it adjustable . I make my own steel cables . also if your going to add any external power to the camera for longevity of the batteries you will need a battery holder . I have since upgraded mine to have a switch to contact my shutter common so I can make camera adjustments without having to fumble around with the camera on trying to make these adjustments . Through the cable holes I put chain through to it tight enough to keep passerbys from opening the case and use a bungee cord to keep it tight to the tree. keep in mind if someone wants it bad enough there going to get it somehow . this just helps keep people honest

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you will also need a 1 1/4" forsner if your going to countersink the glass , angled aluminum for a shelf to put the camera on or what ever material you choose to use for this, pipe through if you plan on being able to lock it to the tree for security . steel cable or python cable lock to keep it there , bungee cord for mounting . I decided to not use the pyton cable lock on mine as that thing is huge . I used a aluminum arrow to run through my case to save some room in the case and use looped ends steel cable and use a chain to lock it on with to mek it adjustable . I make my own steel cables . also if your going to add any external power to the camera for longevity of the batteries you will need a battery holder . I have since upgraded mine to have a switch to contact my shutter common so I can make camera adjustments without having to fumble around with the camera on trying to make these adjustments . Through the cable holes I put chain through to it tight enough to keep passerbys from opening the case and use a bungee cord to keep it tight to the tree. keep in mind if someone wants it bad enough there going to get it somehow . this just helps keep people honest

That camera looks sweet. What did you use to cam it?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That camera looks sweet. What did you use to cam it?
S-40 cam.
I have several S-40 units , S-40 with a solar charger, s-40 in a pelican 1010 case ,P8 unit in a 1449 case and a unfinished Nikon L18 unit , there cheap, work well, and take great pics and the video is even good with them , not as great as some others for video but it does a decent job . this is the biggest box I have used its a pelican 1040 its larger and if you place everthing right and dont use a cable though you can get D batteries in there pretty easy for extended power. heres a few of my others

Size comparison with a blackberry , a 1010 and a 1040 case

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I use a piece of corner trim normally used with drywall basically anything L shaped to provide a shelf for the camera to sit on

·
USAF Retired
3,494 Posts
What are you using as your solar charger?

S-40 cam.
I have several S-40 units , S-40 with a solar charger, s-40 in a pelican 1010 case ,P8 unit in a 1449 case and a unfinished Nikon L18 unit , there cheap, work well, and take great pics and the video is even good with them , not as great as some others for video but it does a decent job . this is the biggest box I have used its a pelican 1040 its larger and if you place everthing right and dont use a cable though you can get D batteries in there pretty easy for extended power.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
You would be surprised at what you can find lying around the house to use. I found some old wind chimes that work great
for a pipe-thru

1 - 20 of 23 Posts