Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will find out........

For the last month, I have been shooting my target set up which is a Dren LD @ 65lbs, 30" draw, NAP 3000 rest, Fatboy 400's fletched straight with 1-1/2" Blazers. Well, it just ain't been shooting, I have switched clarifiers, pin sizes, hold, high and low wrist, you name it I have tried it, with no luck at getting consistent good groups.

Yesterday was the same as usual, I was shooting at 25 yards, with nothing I would call a group to speak of. SOOOOO, I get my hunting rig, which is a Dren @ 65 with 5575 GT Ex Hunter. All of a sudden I was hitting arrows in tight groups, it was amazing! So I get some confidence back! I mean, at least I know I can shoot decent.

So, what are your thoughts on the LD? My thoughts are to tune the LD with the 5575 arrows, and see if the 400 spine arrows are too weak. If that makes it shoot better, I can buy some X-cutter Pro that are stiffer, or Fatboy 340's. We will see.

Also, do your target arrows have offset, helical, or straight fletchings?

Best, DB

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think your arrows may be a little weak. I am shooting my Dren LD ( 60#, 29.5") maxed out with 29.5" CX maxima 350's they hold very tight groups, I have also had very good luck with the GT 7595 pro hunters both with a 125gr tip.

Try bare shaft tuning, shoot 3 fleched arrows and 2 unfletched at he same spot if your unfletched arrows are hitting to the right of your fletched arrows they are a too weak, assuming your ceter shot is set correctly.

I use left helical on all of my arrows.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I shoot .340 spine arrows out of mine.
If I were you, I would try something stiffer.

I shoot right helical fusions and have had great success.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Has it ever shot well with that setup ro is everything new. Before you switch arrows I would check your center-shot and make sure everything is good. I would probably then try and paper tune the bow. This is wear a stiffer spine arrow would be nice, that way you can see the difference in paper. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Also the GT 55/75 are 400 spine just like your other arrows.

·
ObsessionArchery.com
3,914 Posts
Something to consider is that's a small vane on a fat shaft. Try shooting the goldtips out of the DLD

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I took the bow to the pro shop yesterday, and after checking everything out, my bow guy said, the small vanes, and them being straight he felt like was the problem. So I got him making me some x-cutters with 2" and a left helical. We will know something in a couple of days!

Best, DB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts