Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
due to some unfortunate turn of events, i had to buy a new bow for this season, yesterday. I bought a Switchback LD, and i was wondering with the zebra twist string if i will have to worry about stretch, this was the first bow ive ever bought new

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I would get a string set from Bucknasty made of 452x and keep the zebra as a backup. Thats what I did for my bowtech old glory.

·
Registered
210 Posts
All strings creep, it's just a question of how much, and how long it takes for them to settle in. Good strings creep very little, and settle in quickly. Some strings never stop creeping and will drive you crazy.

I've never had much luck with the Zebra strings. Shoot it for a while and keep an eye on your measurements (ATA, cam rotation,etc.). Switchbacks have very little tolerance for being shot out of spec. If things don't settle in after the first 500 arrows, get a string and cable from Winner's Choice, Vapor Trail, or Bucknasty.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Go back to yoour dealer and get a Barracuda string. It will not move like a Zebera string will. They are actually pretty decent from what I understand. It may take to long to get anyone elses strings as most are kind of backed up a little right now.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I didn't think that they were putting Zebra on the Switchback now. At any rate the new strings from Mathews are suppose to be better than the Zebra. I don't think it would every quite stretching.

You may want to shoot it in with a 100 shots or so. Then have the dealer tune it up and set the peep, if you don't know how. It should last the season at least.

Certainly over time some will. They eventually wear out. But as far as new strings, I haven't seen it with my own strings and certain materials. I do take a lot of care with the string layup and maintaining control of the twisting and serve under considerable tension. I feel, my equipment will make a very high quality string without peep sight rotation.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Some materials will creep less than others, 452 will creep much less than 8125, and so on... They will all have a certain amount of initial creep but will slow down after that. They will continue to creep at a much slower rate until they need replacing. I leave the bundle under tension for 24hrs and twist back to spec every few hours. I have noticed the string is very stable and holding several hundred pounds with out any creep for several hours when I begin to serve. All strings will take some shooting to settle because the twists relax in the packaging and must "lock" back in and equalize once installed. After 50-100 or so shots it should be repeatable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i looked it up and your right, is the barracuda string on the bow now

i also saw that mathews says that with the new string they say that it wont stretch? im not sure how much of that i beleive tho

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
PSE Stingray said:
i looked it up and your right, is the barracuda string on the bow now

i also saw that mathews says that with the new string they say that it wont stretch? im not sure how much of that i beleive tho
Just from what I have read on about 5 different forums the Barracuda strings are kinda hit or miss. Some creep and some don't

Or maybe the guy that says "I just love mine" doesn't even know what string creep is. So who do you believe? Nobody. Certainly not the manufacturer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
great strings

A friend of mine is a mathews dealer, he builds custom stings and cables.
He is insured and very professional ( not garage built ). I have had 4 different sets on 4 bows and they don't stretch or creep. His string and cable sets sell for the price of a good string.

Give him a call:
Strike Force Archery
704-883-8987

1 - 9 of 9 Posts