Archery Talk Forum banner

do any of you think that down the road hunting will be for the richer folks

1407 Views 41 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  Richie Rich
it seems that lately i have heard alot of ATers post about loosing there hunting spots as well as some of my hunting friends saying that they will be hunting state lands this year.i know that the land i have hunted for years will most likely be going by by soon.my hope is that when my two sons grow up and get jobs that we can buy land together....if there is any left to buy
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
4,855 Posts
its just not land prices,look at a average brand new bow set-up mim $1300.00 that could buy you a real nice piece of beef,lease $1500.00 a 40 acres,gas driving to and from,there is allot going against us right now

· Born To Hunt
6,149 Posts
Rich

You can bet on it, you will have alot of public land to hunt on but the way this leasing of land is going some day all of the better private land will be for those that are willing to pay big bucks for the right to hunt.

· Registered
1,646 Posts
Sad but so true who doesnt have a 'team' theses days or a TV show. Does anyone hunt for the enjoyment just to be outside and leave the TV and limelight behind. Winds of change are coming the Magazines and TV shows are ruining a once simple working mans beloved sport.

· Registered
3,720 Posts
Hunting big bucks on well managed land masses might become more of a rich mans game, but your typical hunting the way it was 20yrs ago(if it's brown it's down or shoot the first spike you see) will continue on. Yes, people will do everything they can to buy the rights to big racks, but if your area produces average deer I am guessing not a lot will change. As far as equipment goes, what you own right now will still kill a deer in 20yrs so the cost of equipment should not even be a factor if you "really" want to hunt.

Anyway, all the really rich are now more worried about their investments than hunting.:wink:

· Registered
15,256 Posts
Yea the equipment will get more expensive and land lease will to but there is always public land and if you get back in it far enough there are some really nice seer back there all I hunt right now is Public and never have any complaints about the size of the deer I have taken

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts

· Registered
4,178 Posts
Obama will take care of that for us. :mad:

· Registered
562 Posts
I feel it will happen and then return to what it was. People will cash in and cater to the profit motive until they get tired of the rich and all their demands. Eventually some farmer won't be able to get anyone to pay a hundre thousand to hunt on his land and he will have to drop his price to accomodate the economy. Speaking of which, none of that will happen if we fall into a depression. then no one will own the land.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
yes, it's a shame that it has come to this.

· Registered
735 Posts
leases will eliminate a good deal of hunters. 5 years ago it was'nt around me now duck and goose guy's tie up alot of hunting land here.

I've lost some good varmint rifle hunting to wing shooters. I guess they have deep pockets as far as hunters go. 3 of the farmers asked about there lease agreements as far as groundhogs, spring and early summer. Answer- we really don't want anyone back there.

I can't blame the farmers $1200.00-2000.00 beats the hell out of my offerings of Beer and Jerky when it comes to filling the fuel tank on the:cry:tractor.

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Terry A;7720030]You can bet on it, you will have alot of public land to hunt on but the way this leasing of land is going some day all of the better private land will be for those that are willing to pay big bucks for the right to hunt.
"Public" land is most often leased to the states by timber companies, realty companies, banks, private individuals, etc. Most can do what they wish with their land at the end of the lease or anytime they choose. It is quite frankly, the way "public" land disapears every year.

flintcreek6412;7720071]Hunting big bucks on well managed land masses might become more of a rich mans game,
You had better believe that!
but your typical hunting the way it was 20yrs ago(if it's brown it's down or shoot the first spike you see) will continue on.
Maybe, for you, if you own the land! You do realize that most states regulate hunting on private land don't you?
Yes, people will do everything they can to buy the rights to big racks,
You got that right!
but if your area produces average deer I am guessing not a lot will change.
The only thing constant is change!
As far as equipment goes, what you own right now will still kill a deer in 20yrs so the cost of equipment should not even be a factor if you "really" want to hunt.
This is true, but you must have a place to hunt, and the privilege to do so! Hunting is not a right guaranteed by the US Constitution, nor by most state Constitutions or laws!
Anyway, all the really rich are now more worried about their investments than hunting.
Really? You might want to research those behind the anti-hunting movements and organizations!
PSEloyal;7720082]Yea the equipment will get more expensive and land lease will to but there is always public land
Please see the above! Are you sure there will always be public land? Have you seen no decline in the public land in your state? Throughout the nation?
phillygunns;7720539]I feel it will happen and then return to what it was. People will cash in and cater to the profit motive until they get tired of the rich and all their demands. Eventually some farmer won't be able to get anyone to pay a hundre thousand to hunt on his land and he will have to drop his price to accomodate the economy. Speaking of which, none of that will happen if we fall into a depression. then no one will own the land.
I will never fault a farmer for trying to profit from his land! People do tire of the demands of others, but they rarely tire of profits. Leasing the land to hunters generally just offsets the tax bill for the farmer. If the farmer can not afford to hold on to his land, someone will indeed own it. Most likely it will be a bank, or the government! If a farmer does not own the land, most likely no one will hunt the land!

Yes, you best believe that hunting, and hunting access is becoming more expensive, and is well on it's way to becoming a rich man's game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with selling a product or service at a price the public is willing to pay. That is capitalism at its finest, and absolutely essential for a free and democratic society.

The sad reality is that the situation for the average "Joe Hunter", will only worsen as populations increase, and urban sprawl expands. As long as farmers must endure unfair competition in a global market, and hunter numbers decrease, and hunter apathy increases, such will be the case. For as long as people aspire to grant to animals, the full rights of humans, the cost of hunting shall increase.

I think a better question would be; "What are you doing to preserve the privilege, or the right to hunt?" I would further say to everyone here, myself included; "Wake Up, Get Real, and Get Involved!

· Registered
387 Posts
it seems that lately i have heard alot of ATers post about loosing there hunting spots as well as some of my hunting friends saying that they will be hunting state lands this year.i know that the land i have hunted for years will most likely be going by by soon.my hope is that when my two sons grow up and get jobs that we can buy land together....if there is any left to buy
They cut all the timber off our lease last year. We are back to hunting this year, but you can bet it won't last long. They already have the taste of blood. Good clubs here in NC will cost you from $800-$1200 a year. Plus-you still have to share the land! What was the advantage again? :confused:

-7-

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I started bow hunting here in Ohio in 1975...

The changes I have seen:

1. The deer herd's population is tremendous..

2. In the rural areas around me....some farms have been "leased' up...but some farms still remain open to average "Joes" like me.

3. I have talked to some farmers that would NEVER consider leasing for hunting only....thank GOD.

I am sure that one day...as the generations come and go..as in 50 years from now...it will be like England...

that would suck....if it were not for the trophy mentality [I am as guilty as the next guy] that a lot of people have...and the $$$ involved..

things are gonna change.....economics...pure and simple..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.