Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(forgive me if this is a stupid question ;) ) tend to "outgrow" their first bow quickly? Example: An amateur buys a 60" bow with a 35 lb. draw weight. Will he be able to use the bow for several years if he wants...or will it (the dw etc.) become to "small" for him? Hope that makes sense..if not I will try and clarify. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
For an adult, you can buy a good quality bow and stick with it.

Draw length will fluctuate as shooting improves, but my understanding is that it usually gets shorter. Most people tend to draw as long as they can, not as long as they should, at first.

Compound draw weight should probably be in the 30-40# range for a woman, 40-60# range for a man when archery is new and unfamiliar. Lots of people will stay in that range to save their shoulders. More draw weight is arguably pretty bad for your joints over the years. Sometimes the choice is between 10 years of fast arrows and a blown rotator cuff, or many more years of normal trajectories.

Recurve shooters may as well start with a bow that fits them, but should take care to get a bow with separate limbs, IMHO. You can start light and learn good form, then get better limbs at a more serviceable weight. 35# might be at the upper limit to start out with, because of the difficulty in learning good form. Eventually a man will probably want to go into the 50-55# range with his recurve.

Scott

·
Registered
236 Posts
Huh?

60" bow w/ a 35lb draw? That would be huge! :cool: :D :p

PS - obviously I am kidding. As you can tell I am a compound shooter.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
do you mean the opposite or are you talking about a recurve? And yes the poundage can get too light for you deending how much you shoot. Many times more weight (but not too much) can make you hold streadier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts