Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year to bowhunt. I shot my 6 broadheads 6 times each. They were dead on from 20, 30, & 40 yards. I am shooting Sonic 85 grain into a foam target. My question is, do they need to be resharpened.

·
Banned
559 Posts
yes

sputnik said:
This is my first year to bowhunt. I shot my 6 broadheads 6 times each. They were dead on from 20, 30, & 40 yards. I am shooting Sonic 85 grain into a foam target. My question is, do they need to be resharpened.
yes

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Yes...

get a set of new blades installed before you hunt with those broadheads! If you take even ONE practice shot with a broadhead, you must resharpen or replace the blades before hunting.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Yes. I shoot Montecs so I have ones just for practice and others that are designated to hunting.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Yes they need to be replaced or resharpened after practicing.

I'm a sharpness freak and have found that just carrying them in a quiver for a weeks hunting will cause them to get dull, I have not found out why this is but I know I'm not the only one thay has expeirenced this.

I used to think that it was the blades oxidizing but the newer SS blades do the same thing and they should not oxidize.

I touch my Broadheads up every week if they have been shot or not.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You bet they have to be replaced or resharpened before you hunt with them. Just puting them inside your quiver, and taking them out will dull them in due time. If they aren't razor sharp, you will push veins and organs out of the way without cutting all of them in the broadheads path. the sharper they are the easier they will cut everything that they come in contact with, which inturn will give much better blood trails, and quicker and more humane kills.

·
Registered
149 Posts
see sticky

sputnik said:
Yes they do and if you click on the sticky in this form their is a good video on how to do it. Glad to here you have them hitting well. Now get them sharp and good luck hunting.:wink:

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I never hunt with the heads that I practice with but if you are going to you need to sharpen them or get new blades.:shade:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
YES resharping would work or buy a new pack of broadheads.:teeth:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts