Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if a house cat in the woods would scare away a deer. I'm just curious because every now and then i'll have a cat walk past my stand. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Have a buddy who watched Deer following a cat. Deer are curious I really don't think cats have the same affect that a dogs would being in your hunting area IMO

·
Registered
515 Posts
yeah... have seen them react differently. Have had young bucks watch a cat hunt, then have had does start blowing at it, etc. Unfortunately, there are a crapload of barn cats at several of my properties... necessary evil, I suppose.

Cats are predators, I'd imagine in general deer are wary of any carnivore.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My wife and I watched a doe chase our cat across our property and it chased it about a 100 yards thru three fences and up a tree so I know deer aren't scared of them

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
the big one's do ...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've seen cats walk near deer and the deer didn't react like they were too concerned. Cat's running wild will destroy your quail population, if your in to bird hunting....

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've seen cats sit on a corn pile waiting for mice & such as deer were feeding on the other side. I've also seen deer (fawns) follow a cat through the woods for quite a distance.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I have actually taken my cat with me on hunts....not kidding :D
My cat is like the deer view mirror for me...if I see him watching, I am watching where he is looking.
That cat doesn't miss a trick and provide some companionship on long sits.

Reactions: fcap60

·
Registered
446 Posts
Deer aren't afraid of cats, unless the cat is stalking them and harassing them. Then they will watch for them.

We have a farm cat that comes down to our hunting land. I have seen him many times stalking and chasing deer. He often lies in wait in the tall grass and jumps out at them. It spooks the crap out of the deer but nothing really happens. I think the cat is doing it just to get his kicks. He is a great hunter, and I have enjoyed watching him over the years.

E

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I've wondered about that, more specifically whether the smell of house cats will alert a deer. We have 3 and even though I keep my gear bagged up and washed frequently, I still find cat hair on it. No getting around the shedding little buggers. Cat hair finds its way into everything I have. Getting it out of fleece is damn near impossible.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
-It seems that sometimes, almost anything will scare a deer. I was in a stand once and had a decent buck coming in. All of a sudden, the buck froze and went on aleart. It turned and fled like it had seen a ghost. At first I didn't know what could have scared the buck like that, but soon saw what it ran from. It was a possum that was about to cross the bucks path.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

·
Registered
Obsession Fusion 7 at 56# at 29".
2,733 Posts
doug1627 said:
Not that I would ever consider shooting a cat, I own 2 myself. Is it illegal to shoot a domesticated cat?
It depends on each state's regulations. Some states specifically mention feral cats and have seasons, regs. etc., while other states say nothing of their existance, but you'll get fined if someone claims the animal...after it's been shot. Therefore the SSS rule. :zip:

atkins72 said:
Any cat that walks by my stand gets shot, unless it has a collar on.
:set1_signs009: I've never seen a cat that didn't answer to the name of target. :chortle:

The way I see it, if the cat is as far out in the woods as I am, it's fair game. :rip: I've watched more than one cat kill game animals, leave them lay, go back to their warm farm house and eat their meow mix. It's total BS and I won't hesitate to shoot every one of them, that's within my range. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
641 Posts
I watched a cat taking 20 ft leaps after a coues whitetail. I could hear the deer screaming from 200 yds away. Yup, they scare the heck out of them. He was a big yellow cat, maybe a 125lbs, not too sure how domesticated he was.;)

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Nope

1 - 20 of 26 Posts