Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got to thinking today... i read once that a deer's brain can process at least 6 different smells at the same time. this made me wonder about the effectiveness of cover scents. now, i always do everything in my power to minimize human odor, but then i also spray cover scent on a lot of the time to help out even more. but thinking about how a deers olfactory sense works, i wondered if a cover scent does anything at all to help beat a deer's nose, or if they just smell right through that and pick up the human odor.. any opinions or further knowledge about this idea?

nick

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
well, let's say if you're clothes smell slightly like

gas, bacon, and dogs,

by covering it up, only one scent is present, ideally.

So if the cover ups work like they suppose to, the deer is only going to have to register one smell.

I use coverups that pertain to my area. Out west I use Earth, Pine and sage cover ups.

Out east I use acorn, earth, and usually a doe estrus.

Makes you think though doesn't it.

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Just my opinion here.....

Scent elimination/blocker systems do offer protection, but must be used in conjunction with properly washed clothes and body.

Cover scents........I just do not see how they can really be effective. Like you have already pointed out, a deer can process multiple odors simultaneously.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
this have been up many times, i can guarantee that my SAR-dogs will spot you 100 times out of 100 whatever sentlock you wear.
i wouldnt spend 1$ on these for the sentlock function.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Nito I don't understand your post.

Are you talking about Scent Lok or cover scents? 2 totally different things here.

Activated charcoal has been proven quite often on adsorption of odors and I'd beg to differ with your analogy if talking about Scent Lok.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
what i meen is that there have been alot of testing on various types of sentlocking products and different types of experiments, even covering people up in diversuits, to submerge people in water, busted everytime that dogs have chanse to get in the wind direction of a human.
i say: wasted money
think a little, drugsmuggglers hide their drugs inside tieres, fueltank etc. in absolutely sealed packages, but they smell them anyway.
the noses of animals is so far beyond our understanding that we tend to fool ourselves that these thing work so good that they make a difference.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. However, activated charcoal is quite different. Maybe the drug smugglers should try researching on that and they may start fooling the fed's. HAHA.

I do understand your point :darkbeer: .

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've got to disagree with you nitro. I've had excellent results using scent killer autumn formula. Walk to your stand without any scent elimator and then use scent killer. The deer will smell your tracks every time without it, and are just curious with it. I like to use doe urine on my boots after I de-scent them. Works good for me.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I agree that there are a combination of things that need to be taken into consideration. I honestly have quit hunting the wind, because the winds swirl so much around here that you'd drive yourself crazy to hunt the wind. I wear an X-Scent base layer, wash all of my clothes hunting and otherwise in scent-free All, use scent free softener and dryer sheets, and then will use doe pee or earth scent as a cover. I've also used Autumn blend or whatever that was and had decent results, but to me the strong odor of doe urine(non-estrous) and earth scent(dirt) seems to do the trick. Another thing I do is wear a lightweight neck gaiter over my mouth and nose, esp. on the walk in. I also box my boots and spray them down liberally w/ earth scent, and walk through every pile of deer droppings and little puddle I see on the way in. I've not been wind busted that I can remember in at least 3 yrs, and I've had deer within 10yds of my stand more times than I could honestly count. Even on the ground, I've been within 5yds of deer nearly a dozen times, and that wasn't in a blind, just slid into the edge of some brush. I don't advocate scent-lok because to me it is too hot, even when it's cold out, thought the theory behind it should work. Deer and SAR-dogs are no comparison, because deer haven't been specifically trained to run through an area looking for human scent, only to avoid areas w/ scent that has been deemed unsafe, so to speak. I will agree that any good SAR-dog should be able to pick up my trail at my truck and run it's owner right to me, but that's his job, which he has been highly trained for. He merely has to recognize a specific scent, and follow it, never mind whether he thinks he's trailing a deer or a human, he's just following the trail his master put him on. Like comparing apples to peaches, there really isn't much comparison.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Scents, tree stands, ground blinds, gillie suits, camo clothing, bait, decoys, whatever. If it changes the odds in your favor its got to be ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bowhunter w/ 30 yr exp once said in a class, if you reduce your smell, the deer might actually think your further than you actually are.

·
Registered
566 Posts
imho no scent is the best scent.

I use to use cover scents and they may or may not help but what I did not like about them is that they would make does and young deer curious to what I was and they followed the smell to my stand and looked for the "source" that to me is like giving yourself away.

If you are extremely dilligent about scent control and going out of your way to having no scent or as litle as possible, more often than not deer will not even pick up my scent and if they do they think its so far away or so old that it would not have a negative effect on them so they ignore it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i use scent zapper and it works better than alot of the others i've used, last year had a buck walk 10 ft from me and never spotted me

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
lazy8 said:
Bowhunter w/ 30 yr exp once said in a class, if you reduce your smell, the deer might actually think your further than you actually are.
You hit the nail on the head. I find that when I hunt certain areas close to homes and human habitation the deer are much more tolerant of human smell...get way back in the big woods and even the slightest whiff sends them into a paranoid schizophrenic episode.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
If cover scents are used properly and are common to the area your hunting in I can't see where it could hurt you?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
all i know for certain is that....................

since starting to use scent killing sprays in conjunction with the HS fresh earth discs....................i have been picked off by does much less........................and my sighting numbers have increased significantly.

increasing sighting numbers= increasing opportunity.

camoham

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
During the gun season, I hunt a lot with a club and we drive deer. One season, I decided to do my own scent experiment. The first half of the season, I didn't use any cover scent at all. During drives, I could hear deer coming my way and they would stop and change direction especially when I was down wind. It was obvious that my scent was picked up. Some deer busted me from as far as 100 yards away.
During the second half of the season, I used a trick that my grandfather taught me. I stored my hunting clothing in a plastic bag along with fresh pine, cedar, and oak branches. I killed 5 deer the second half of that season. I almost got run over a few times. On one ocassion, I nodded off on stand and when I opened my eyes, 2 young bucks were standing about 12 feet from me trying to figure out what I was.
I continue to use this natural cover scent today and it works. None of that commercial stuff for me!

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Buksknr53 said:
... I hunt a lot with a club and we drive deer.
Wow!!!!! Hunting deer caveman style...... hahahaha. (I knew what ya meant, just struck me as hilarious.....)

With regards to cover scents, I dont think they help much, but thats just me. We all know guys that kill mature regularly who use them.

While I agree with Nito that you'll never eliminate human scent, I also think its a little simplistic to say I'll just keep the wind in myface and I'll be fine. Wind swirls, changes directions, deer often walk with the wind rather than against it. I hunt some pretty hilly ground with deep ravines and trying to figure out the wind can be pretty frustrating sometime.

Im nopt a big scentlok fan.... I prefer the anitbacterial approach. I like to use the Xstatic undergarments, scent-killer soaps and shampoos, I keep boots and hunting gear sealed in baig zip locks, all the stuff most guys mentioned... Im kind of a scent control freak. But I still wouldnt hunt the south side of a bedding area with a south wind . . . you still have to be smart about it.

Think about this, when your walking in the woods and you get a faint whiff a skunk, you think "skunk" and probably keep going. If you get that overpowering, burn your nostrils, I on top the critter smell.... you're probably looking for a fast exit outta there.

I think its the same with deer. If they turned tail and fled everytime they detected human, or coyote, or dog, or cougar scent, they'd never get to where they're going. I believe you can keep you scent dispersal below the level that triggers that "wheeze, turn and run, and wheeze, and wheeze and wheeze" response we've ALL heard when winded.

Does scent contol work 100% of the time. Nope. You still have to be smart about the way you hunt. But I do think it gives you an advantage and at least a chance with changing winds or the animal that comes from the "wrong" way. If you smell like a jockstrap.... you have ZERO chance, and may very well ruin a good stand site.

·
Ya hey
1,437 Posts
I was a believer in cover scents. Using a cover scent was a lot easier than going to extreme lengths trying to reduce my own scent in every way conceivable. I did a few things to reduce my own scent, but certainly not everything I could. I'd get busted every now and then, but I almost always saw deer inside 60 yards. I have a friend who is a much more successful bow hunter than me, and he finally convinced me to try the hardcore scent elimination/reduction route. I add reduction, because I think we all know you can never get rid of all your human scent. I haven't gone completely nuts with my scent management (well... maybe a little), but the difference is striking. In places I used to see 2-4 deer a night, I was now seeing 8-10 - no kidding! For me, the upshot is: Cover scent = good, Complete scent reduction = much better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts