Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set up a Camera a few weeks ago at a normally heavily used feeding{Baited} area. Only 5 pictures have been taken so far and the amount of corn eaten has been very minimal. Our other feeding area close by is being used heavily now. I can only guess and say that the reason for the switch of feeding areas was because of the flash from the cam spooking the deer!??! Has anyone else ever noticed a drop in activity after setting up a cam??? Or notice a change in trail use because of a cam??? I am taking the cam down for now, I hope I didn't ruin a good stand location by using the cam! Would like to hear input on camera use...I was going to buy a second one but not so sure now!??!!??

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
with most deer, I say no. But I have had pictures of a couple that were jumping or started running.

I have also got alot of extreme closeups.

rick

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
this is the same buck as in the first picture but I am not sure if the flash went off or not on those two.

I did get 2 pictures of a huge nontypical a few years ago. In the first one, he was standing there but in the second he was starting to run.

I am seriously thinking about getting one of the leaf river infrared cams. They would never see a flash and they are not as expensive as you would think.

Here is a link:

http://www.vibrashine.com/store/merchant.ihtml?id=3&step=2

rick

·
Registered
441 Posts
I really think every deer is different. I'm sure the first time they see the flash it spooks them some but in my experience most of them get used to it. Some just seem more tolerant of the flash than others. I also believe the 35mm cameras spook a little more--more so from the film rewinding rather than the flash. Here is a really nice buck that I have numerous pics of---the flash just doesn't seem to bother him at all.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
While I agree that every deer is differant and responds to the flash differant there is no doubt that activity slows down once a cam is placed at a spot. My best pics come during the first few days of a new spot. Pics will slowly get fewer and fewer. I have tested this time and time again. I started watching deer at my back yard cam and it confirms everything I believed before. I don't think they will run deer completely out of an area but they just tend to skirt away from the cam. I have an apple orchard on my property. I have a cam up in an apple tree aimed down and it gets 3-10 pics a night. The other night I watched 5 buck feeding through. They all skirted that particular tree. I check the cam every morning. There are no apples on the ground around the other trees but many under the tree with the cam. I still love using cams but try not to set them right where I plan to hunt just to be safe. Depending on my schedule I run between no less then 12 and as many as 20 cams year round. Infrared cameras are better then the white flash but they still know it's there.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I check the cam every morning
If you are checking them that often you are probly leaving alot of scent around? That might be why they are avoiding the spot.

rick

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Ditto on leaving too much scent!! Have several pictures of bucks and does that hung around long enough to get several pictures before they wandered off. :secret:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Scared

Watch your scent control and there should be no problems. I know I'll have an ugly mug on my next pic count. Last night while hog hunting, my brother-in-law went past a newly located cam (that he didn't know was there) and PUMPH!! :eek: the camera went off! :eek: When he got to the truck he was not impressed with me, he said he almost crapped his pants! (LMAO) I only collect my cam cards once a week, so I'll have to wait til Fri to see him w/a "scared ***tless" look on his face.

Just so you understand, my brother-in-law is a city boy and this will only be his 2nd year in the woods. So walking in the dark woods is not his favorite thing to do....especially with a flashlight that has low batteries.

Ohhhh....my sides still hurt from the excessive laughter! :p

Greg :p :D

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
scent control is a non issue in this situation. This is my backyard where human odor is there all the time. I would buy the scent idea if they voided the whole orchard and not just the tree my cam is in. I've moved the cam from tree to tree...after a few days the pics gradually dry up.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I've personally seen to many deer spook from the sound of the film advance on 35mm trail cams. YES... the will indeed spook deer. As mentioned above, it seems deer have different personalities when it comes to flash spooking but most seem to get used to it. A digi is the better trail cam to have and the new Infared units are going to be by FAR the best non-spooking units! No flash, no noise.... what more could you ask for? :thumbs_up

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm not going to say yes or no to this because I simply don't know and I don't believe anyone really does. But to be on the safe side I set my Leaf River to daytime shots only. No sense in spooking a deer if it does. I may not get as many shots as other people but I know what deer are moving in the daylight when I hunt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies and info! I went back on the wheeler to retrieve the cam today and kicked up a deer pretty close to where it is located so I turned back and left it out there for now. Looks like I need to look into the infra-red types if I decide to get another. I guess since the cam is there already I might as well leave it and see if the feeding and amount of pic's taken increases any. Last time cam was checked it only had 5 pictures out of a roll of 24 taken so far. Next time I will use 12 exposure film!...Thanks again!

·
Registered
890 Posts
It all depends on the particular deer. The flash or film advance does not always spook deer, I've got a camtrakker that I ormally set up within distance of my #1 stand year round . I have passed up deer and the camera has taken their pic and they never flinched . I haven't seen a negative reaction from the camera visually, have alot of close ups, and multiple pics of the same deer . All of this and I just bought a new Leaf River IR .My camtrakker never let me down , just had to catch up to technology. Will post my experience with the IR after a while. I know that digital will be alot cheaper to process than film !!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I based my decision to buy a digital cam on the fact that I was worried about a "clicking" noise. Like one of the posts said, I have mine set to go off during the day, no flash. I'm not going to shoot deer at night anyway. But then again, where I hunt, deer are few and far between.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Yup, 35mm game cameras do spook deer.

I tested this last year with my 35mm game cameras. I set all of them to take two pictures back to back just so I could see what the deer was doing a split second after the first shot was taken. In almost every case when the subject was a mature buck, the second picture always caught the buck running away. Daytime, night time, it didn't matter. Of course, does didn't seem to care one way or the other. But the mature bucks sure did. I have concluded that it was the sound of the shutter and film advance that scared them. However, I will say this, while they may have been spooked, it sure didn't run them off. I have numerous pictures of the same bucks, from the same cameras, being spooked time and time again. But they still came back to be spooked again. And they certainly never left the area. When I can afford it, I'll be switching to a digital infared. But, until then, I'll keep spook'n em with my 35mm cams.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts