Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a farmer gave me 50lbs of wheat seed today that he had left over after planting, and i was wondering if deer will eat it if i just threw maybe 10lbs out on the ground at a time, or will it just be a lot of birds and squirrels possibly coming to eat it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
id love to shoot some turkeys off it, but Kentucky has no baiting on turkeys all year, i wish it was just spring, because they are way to hard to pattern and sneak up on in the fall

·
<---Ride the Lightning
2,031 Posts
id love to shoot some turkeys off it, but Kentucky has no baiting on turkeys all year, i wish it was just spring, because they are way to hard to pattern and sneak up on in the fall
I find turkeys fairly easy to pattern in the fall...sneaking up on them is another story.
If you can find where they are roosting, slip in well before first light, set up in some natural cover nearby. When you here them wake up and start talkin to each other, let out a few soft yelps to let them know you are there. Then when they fly down (if they don't land right in your lap) give them a loud, long series of yelps.

I have had good luck doing this in the fall.

To your original question...I have no idea if deer will eat wheat seed...

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
I find turkeys fairly easy to pattern in the fall...sneaking up on them is another story.
If you can find where they are roosting, slip in well before first light, set up in some natural cover nearby. When you here them wake up and start talkin to each other, let out a few soft yelps to let them know you are there. Then when they fly down (if they don't land right in your lap) give them a loud, long series of yelps.

I have had good luck doing this in the fall.

To your original question...I have no idea if deer will eat wheat seed...
I've never tried this, but I've also heard that when they are flocked up together in the fall to break them up by running in the middle of them. Then set up in some nearby cover and call. After they are broken up, they will try to find each other and get back together. A lot of times, they will come right in.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
will the seed come up even in cold winter weather, there is a chance of rain Tomorrow so i might spread some in a soybean field that hasn't been tilled up yet, will it grow just on top of the ground or will i have to cover it some

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.