Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was scouting my hunting property this afternoon and came upon an area with fruit on the ground. The fruit was green, about the size of an apple, and were shaped like pears. The thing that confused me was that this tree was larger than I would expect a pear tree to be and it was loaded with more fruit. It forked about three or four feet off the ground and each of the branches were at least ten inches in diameter and the tree was probably sixty feet tall. Some of the fruit had been eaten on. I've never heard of pears being on a deer's list of preferred foods but I guess they are opportunity eaters. It would probably be silly of me to ask if this would be a good site for a stand. The great thing about it is that this tree is on a field corner that sticks out into a field of alfalfa.

·
Banned
17,974 Posts
Just two weeks ago the landowner of the property I hunt had seven doe in his front yard under his pear tree. Of course, come 10/1 they won't be anywhere to be seen.:(

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Pear Tree

I have been thinking about raiding my neighbors pear tree for a little bait. That tree has so many pears this year that they have lost some branches because of the weight.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Deer love any fruit.Pears are good but I usually hunt persimmons in the early season

·
Registered
139 Posts
...a pear to draw to ....

There was a post on pears on another site recently...the Habitat thread of Michigan's Sportsman forum. That poster, an experienced food-plotter, detailed how he had grown discouraged with growing apple trees for deer on his farm. The problem wasn't deer browsing the tree to extinction but rather that apple is so susceptible to diseases & pests. It's a high maintenance fruit. That, and the fact that the fruit fall was sudden (rather than being drawn out over weeks) and fairly complete.

On the other hand, he is experimenting with pear trees as they seem to be much hardier and pest resistant ..... and, the deer like the fruit as much as they do apples. Plus, the fruit hangs on a long time and drops sporadically... thus providing a longer term attraction.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yup - Deer love nearly any kind of fruit or melon... Two years ago, one of the fields behind my house had pumpkins planted in it, and the deer were really tearing them up... I saw a couple of P&Y bucks that summer during daylight hours, and one Booner, too - eating pumkins... Of course, once the season started, they were nowhere to be found...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I have a pear tree in my yard. You will never find fruit on the ground because the deer clean them up as soon as they drop. My father in-law has a ornamental nectarine tree that produced an amazing crop of fruit this year. Now that was a deer magnet! He would have a dozen deer under that tree all through the middle of the day and the tree is only 30 yards behind his house!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. A lot of my confusion, I guess, came from the fact I've been hunting this property for three years now and just yesterday found this tree. Do they drop fruit every year? I was around this same tree last year and there was no fruit on the ground. I had an experience one time of seeing a doe smash a hedge apple (it had been on the ground for a while and was soft) with the top of her head to get at the nut at the center. I could'nt believe what I was seeing. That proved to me that a deer will eat almost anything. I'm going back out today to set a stand by my new "honey hole.":D

·
Registered
441 Posts
It is hard to beat the persimmon tree---great tasting fruit for the deer and it drops it's fruit over a long period of time. It looks like this year is going to be a good persimmon year---my trees are loaded with them right now.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Stick a double bull blind right up there by the that tree! Deer love those things. I am hunting close to a pear tree right now & the deer are eating them up like mad.

Of course eat a few yourself while waiting on those deer!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts