Archery Talk Forum banner

Do Deer Pay any attention to parked 4 wheelers?

8957 Views 66 Replies 58 Participants Last post by  Buck Smasher
My buddy and I seem to disagree on this, so I wonder what you think and what you've experienced.
Buddy says he's observed deer walk right by the parked 4 wheeler and not pay any attention to them at all.
Meanwhile, I've had deer get downwind of where we parked the 4 wheeler and spook, I've had deer walk up on the 4 wheeler and spook...My buddy thinks the deer winded me and not the 4 wheeler. What is your experience?
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
10,765 Posts
Yes if it was not there before they will notice it it is usualy a negative reaction , and they do smell as well.

I would say your buddy is like some others that have a gift of exageration and BS. Besides maybe a bit too lazy as well. In my area they hear em see em or smell em opr any combo the game is over they are gone!Not stiring JMHO:)

· Registered
11,635 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if a fawn didn't spook and actually approached it to see what it was. BUT, I don't think a mature deer will put up with a 4 wheeler anywhere near them!
So......you BOTH might be right. :wink:

Lien2

· Registered
781 Posts
Deer are individuals just like us humans. Some will spook and others will not. I have a friend who shot a mature doe by backing his 4 wheeler up to tree putting his tree seat on the tree and resting his feet on the 4 wheeler. Sure it is not the norm, but it goes to show you deer are different.

· Registered
3,720 Posts
I've had does walk right up to my vehicle 30min after I relieved myself on the tire. I've had them walk up to the combine, tractors, trucks and fresh set stands.

I have never seen a buck do any of the above. If you are hunting a mature buck, the ATV will likely deter them. If you are hunting does, it's a crap shoot depending on where you hunt and what the deer are used to.

· Registered
261 Posts
I can smell my own wheeler, so Im almost positive it would pick out the fourwheeler before it picked out you ( IF youre good about scent)...sorry to say it, but I think youre friend is LAZY, unless he is disabled...

· Registered
4,114 Posts
Yea I call BS big time..I have seen deer time after time standing right beside our pick-up's when we come back out of our stands..I have a bad heart and sometimes I take my ATV to the stand I'm in.I have parked it no more than fifty yards from my tree stand and watched deer walk within ten feet of it and not even look at it.

I know.Now I'm going to hear the,ya,but you don't see any big bucks go by it..Well i'm here to tell you,that's bs too.

I don't advocate not walking into your stand if you can.Also,folks running around on ATV's are not thinking.

Back to the question..Try it sometime and see what you think then.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
I guess it might depend on where you're hunting and how much you local deer heard is willing to put up with. Just last year 1 parked my ATV about 2/3 of a mile away from where my tree stand was. About 45 mins before dark, I hear a doe blowing way out in the field. This went on for about a half hour. When I got down and snuck up to where my ATV was parked, there were 8 doe in the field and the biggest one was doing all the blowing about 150 yds away. The others just kept on grazing, looking up every now and then. I've had them (does) do the same thing to decoys too. Those older does are pretty smart and won't put up with much that seems out of the ordinary to them.

· Registered
2,517 Posts
ATVs actually attract deer. Just go to your honey hole at sun up and start doing doughnuts and deer will flock to you!!

· Registered
2,477 Posts
Two seasons ago, i was done hunting, so I folded up my ground blind and headed out. I was parked about 50 yards from the tree line and about 100 yards from where I came out of the woods. As I climbed up the slight hill to see my truck, I was surprised to see a 10 point feeding about 5 yards in front of my Tahoe's grill !!! I dropped down and ranged him and he was at 92 yards from me. Obviously the truck didn't scare him one bit since after he looked at me, he continued to feed my way..

· Registered
6,714 Posts
If you are hunting a mature buck, the ATV will likely deter them. If you are hunting does, it's a crap shoot depending on where you hunt and what the deer are used to.
I totally agree. If you just want to kill "a deer", you can most likely do it while sitting on your ATV. A mature deer, especially a buck, I kind of doubt it. Let's just say the odds are heavily against it IMO.

Dawg

· Registered
751 Posts
One year I was rolling down a hill to my stand draging a scent line behind me on my ATV. I stopped about 100 yards from my stand and for some reason laid the drag line over the back rack. Later that morning I saw a small buck make a scrape right beside the tire the scent line was closest to. He filled the wheel with leaves and went about his business.

So I guess sometimes it will spook them and sometimes it will not.

· Registered
4,641 Posts
I think some do and some dont. I killed an 8pt with my atv under my stand at 35yards. I was taking my boots off in my truck with the door open and had a young buck walk 8yds in front of my truck. I have also had a deer blow at my atv several times.

· "In God We Trust"
2,077 Posts
I used to have a little place that I gun hunted, and I only saw deer when I drove my truck to the stand and park about 40 yards to the side of it. Never saw deer when I drove in on a 4-wheeler or when I walked. But I think it had a lot to do to the fact that it was all hunting club around it, and there were trucks drive and stopping all over. No big deal to the deer to hear a truck, but a 4-wheeler ment there was a hunter nearby. JMO. thanks

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.