Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my setup: 09 bowtech admiral set at 64lbs 28in, shooting 26.5in easton st axis with 125 grain heads (total arrow weight ~412). Both my bh and fp group well with bh 4 in high of bullseye. Ive tried moving my rest around and this is the closest i could get the two to hit. I was wondering if maybe my arrow spine could be an issue. Any input or ideas will greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, the arrows are currently 400s

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Your arrows are correctly matched for your setup(I assumed Blazer vanes and only peep and loop on string).

I wouldn't worry about whether or not your field tips and broadheads will hit the same point of impact(I get flamed for this, but aerodynamic principles deem this not possible without totally screwing up the tune of your bow).

If the bow was paper tuned properly, just sight in for the broadheads and use a set for practice, making sure to switch them out for sharper ones prior to your hunt. You could just sight in with the field tips and then resight in with the broadheads(use a practice set again, so to not dull the blades for hunting) a week or two prior to the season opener. I myself just tune and sight in with the broadheads installed and just switch out for a new set the night before the hunt.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
It is completely possible for them to have the same POI.

If moving your rest up and down did not make a difference, check your tiller and your cam timing.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
it is possible,but if you stop and think....arrows with and w/o b/h are two totally different projectiles. they may weight the same,but the length,spine and balance point are different.why should they be expected to hit in same place? the shorter shanked b/h come closer to being like f/p but not quite.i,ll have to agree with whitetail 101.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
it is possible,but if you stop and think....arrows with and w/o b/h are two totally different projectiles. they may weight the same,but the length,spine and balance point are different.why should they be expected to hit in same place? the shorter shanked b/h come closer to being like f/p but not quite.i,ll have to agree with whitetail 101.
I agree with this.

I went through a very similar issue as the OP. I went up to 340's and my flight is almost perfect. I'm probably 1" right of FP. I'm going to move my sight right before I leave for my trip this week.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Hence the reason spine charts are divided into target arrow(field point tipped) and hunting arrow(broadhead)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Your arrows are correctly matched for your setup(I assumed Blazer vanes and only peep and loop on string).

I wouldn't worry about whether or not your field tips and broadheads will hit the same point of impact(I get flamed for this, but aerodynamic principles deem this not possible without totally screwing up the tune of your bow).

If the bow was paper tuned properly, just sight in for the broadheads and use a set for practice, making sure to switch them out for sharper ones prior to your hunt. You could just sight in with the field tips and then resight in with the broadheads(use a practice set again, so to not dull the blades for hunting) a week or two prior to the season opener. I myself just tune and sight in with the broadheads installed and just switch out for a new set the night before the hunt.
If you paper tune properly, there will be ZERO need to "sight in" for broadheads. As long as they spin true they WILL fly they same as your field points.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts

Broadheads actually create more drag and have a POI lower than FPs. This is obvousely a planeing issue, If it cant be fixed with nock height THEN the arrows are obviousely overspined. I would check the timeing and tiller first but something is casuing a planeing issue.....................

Also make sure the draw stop/s are set correctly.............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts