Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, another one of these threads. :confused: Anyway, for those who care to give me a serious answer, help me out. My Diamond Outlaw setup is shooting a 410 grain arrow at approximately 275 fps according to archery calculator for a ke of 70 ft. lbs. Do I have enough juice to make good use out of this head? I don't really doubt this head/setup on deer, but I live out west and our elk and deer archery seasons run concurrently so it would be used on both species about 50/50.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yea you should have enough power with you setup or you could always use the Rage SS with a 1.5" cut and the blades are sweep back which might give you more penetration

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
i'm at 54lbs with a 455 gr. and i shoot rage 3 blade and i get pass thru's.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I've had nothing but success with the Rage 2 blade over the years. This year I switched to the NAP Killzone. Very impressed and like it better than the Rage 2.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Rage will kill a deer with a perfect shot and work well really with any shot not contacting bone. They suffer drastically when you hit a shoulder or other large mass much better options on the market.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Rage will kill a deer with a perfect shot and work well really with any shot not contacting bone. They suffer drastically when you hit a shoulder or other large mass much better options on the market.
This. In my experience. Not bashing got a hypo in my quiver. 435 gr at 287 fps I'm gonna go closer to 500gr next year for a little more confidence.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ive seen the best of the best fail when It comes to hitting hard bone....I used to shoot the original 2 blade rages and was less than satisfied with there performance, but recently I picked up some hypodermics and so far have had nothing but great success with them as far as holding up to penetrating bone without destroying the all steel farrels. Blades held up as far as not braking but they were still bent. My set up is a 425gr total weight arrow at 65pds I havent chronoed my bow but my guess is that its shooting around 270ish. Out of the 3 does that I have harvested this year, 2 were complete pass-thru's. On the other hand I have never harvested an elk, but I have seen alot of hunting shows that use 2 blade rages on elk with great success.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have the same bow set at 29.5" and about 65#. I'm shooting a 415 grain maxima blue streak. I killed three deer last year and one this year. All with either a rage hypodermic or the original two blade. You're fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts