Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do i have enough ke to make a pass through with rage 2 blade expandibles (2in. cutting diameter)
i shoot a
2005 pse triton
somewhere in between 55-60lb draw weight
27in. draw
and 300gr. arrows with 3 4in. quickspins

Should i keep the rage expandibles or move to some kind of fixed blade...ive been thinking about montecs??

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
is there anything else needed to know?? if there is just ask cause i really need to know

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
brandon78 said:
do i have enough ke to make a pass through with rage 2 blade expandibles (2in. cutting diameter)
i shoot a
2005 pse triton
somewhere in between 55-60lb draw weight
27in. draw
and 300gr. arrows with 3 4in. quickspins

Should i keep the rage expandibles or move to some kind of fixed blade...ive been thinking about montecs??
Based on your info. and guessing on the the advertised speed of that bow and what you have on the string. You have roughly 48-50lbs. of K.E. I used 55lbs. of draw weight in the formula also, so if you turned up to 60 you will get more.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so would that be enough??

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,493 Posts
its hard to say, we really need to know your arrow speed. between 50 and 60lbs covers alot of ground.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my arrow speed is around 230-240ish

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
What is the IBO speed rating for the bow? What is on the string? I am just guessing without this info. What is the exact poundage you have the bow set at.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I went and looked up the IBO rating for you Brandon. The bows IBO is 300. I put that in the calculator, I put 55 lbs. of draw weight and 30 grains for stuff on the string like peep sight and loop. So with what I put in you have 269-270FPS with the 300 grain arrow. The Calculator says 48.5ft. lbs. I am not sure if that is enough for a 2 inch expandable or not. But it will be plenty for the Montec or any fixed blade head you choose.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
NO Shoot regular broadheads at that weight and speed.

Hooked - he said his arrow speed was 230-240fps ish? His draw is only 27" so don't use the IBO 30" draw that would give him speed he just doesn't have.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
will i have to do any different tuning if i switch to fixed blades??

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and what grain broadhead should i use? 75,85, 100?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I wouldn't if I were using your setup....

MASS (arrow weight) x VELOCITY(arrow speed) x VELOCITY / 450240 = KE

You better bump your weight up to 60, bud. We need to know your exact speed and weight of arrow to give you the correct KE. For example, I shoot 286fps with a 329 grain arrow. My KE is 59.77.
Lets be conservative to be safe. IF...your arrow speed is 230 and your arrow weight is just 300 grains, your KE would be (and this is simply a guess because I don't have your exact info) only 35.25!
I read an article written by an executive with a leading broadhead manufacturing company (don't ask me where or what mag it was in...it was a few months back in one of my many many many bowhunting subscriptions) and their suggested recommendation for one of their 1 1/2" expandable broadheads (not even the 2" mark you've mentioned) is a KE of 58. That would put your setup well below that mark. I've read numerous times that a KE of 45 would be sufficient to kill a whitetail. I'd agree, but you'd be better off using a cut on impact, or at least, a fixed blade broadhead.
Go to your local pro-shop if you're even considering still going to an expandable of that size and talk to someone knowledgeable who works there. Ask them if you can check your arrow speed and see if they can weigh your arrow. Use the formula above to see what your KE is. If it is anything less than 58 (to be safe) I would shy away.
I'm not saying that broadhead won't work, but it would work better out of a different setup. Besides, do you want to risk losing a deer just because you had to have a certain NEW broadhead?
By the way, I've been using the "sister" bhead to the one you mentioned (Rage). I use the Rocky Mountain Snyper, and have been since 2002. I've killed 6 whitetails with the head and have recovered all 6. Although this doesn't mean much of anything (other than proving shot placement is everything), all shots were past throughs and were at ranges from 10 yards to 42 yards. Again, my KE has been efficient enough.
Don't get lost in this though. Just worry about your shooting form and shooting ability. Again, shot placement is key to a kill. Theoretically you could kill anything with a field tip if the shot is where it needs to be. When choosing your broadhead, just keep in mind that the bigger the cutting diameter, and more moving/opening parts, means more wasted energy you need to blast through an animal's boiler room.
Good luck, and choose your broadhead smart.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I will assume the 300 weight arrow is including broadhead but then again you also ask what weight broahead weight to use.

Light arrows and light heads (75-85) are not they way to go and certainly not compatible with your desire to shoot mechanical heads based on the overall energy that your setup delivers.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well im definatly not going to use the mechanical now but would you consider the montecs for my set up??

and the 300gr. arrow is w/o tip...and what grain montecs should i get??

i just wanna get something i can be confident shooting at a deer with

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and any other broadhead recommendation is appreciated...and i only got till october 7th to get ready!!!

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
brandon78 said:
well im definatly not going to use the mechanical now but would you consider the montecs for my set up??

and the 300gr. arrow is w/o tip...and what grain montecs should i get??

i just wanna get something i can be confident shooting at a deer with
Brandon, Tell us your speed after you chrono it and your arrow wieght including tip.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
You said your arrow was 300 grains without a broadhead? Then if you add a 100 grain broadhead and are doing 240 fps with a 400 grain arrow you will blow right thru anything you shoot with a Snyper or Steelhead expandable and I would expect the same thing with the new 2" Rage ( Although there hasn't been much feed back on actual in the field kills with this head yet) . A 400 grain arrow at 240 fps is a pretty stout set up.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so should i stick with the rage or go to a fixed blade (montecs or strikers)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts