Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a #60 vindicator shooting a revoultion rest with 340 spine, beman speed arrows, 8.1 gpi. with 100 grain field points. I tried paper tuning and got what I think is a high nock tear, shape of tear looks like a Y. tear down is about two inches. I've tried moving the rest just about every way and results weren't any better. Once I moved back to 20 and 30 yards arrows flew a lil erratic but still grouped decent. Any suggestions?? has any one else had problems with erratic arrow flight? or do i just need a weaker spine?

·
space for rent
4,080 Posts
That seems to be a trait of the k&k bows. A 300 spine arrow will mask it or you could add a few twists to the buss and take a few out of the control cable until the tear goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
First off , I am not familiar with the bow you are talking about as to if it is a single , dual,hybrid or binary cam system. If it is a single cam my suggestion won't apply. But if it is any of the others , then first thing you need to do is to make sure the cams are in sync with each other. If your top cam timing is hitting later than your bottom cam , that would give you a high nock tear since after the bottom cam has stopped rotating your top cam is still coming around and raising the back end of the arrow up and creating the high nock tear.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
How long is the shaft?
How much weight up front?

The timing possibility's are good bets, but having used Beman 340's at 29" from a couple bows in the past, they have tuned stiff for me at anything less than 65lbs with a 125gr head.

One thing you can also try is a bare shaft. Sometimes you find that the problem is vane clearance from an improperly timed rest, or a rest that just won't clear a high profile vane.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i checked the timing, and both draw stops touched the limbs at the same time, top and bottom.

the arrow is 29 1/4" long from insert end to base of nock. @ 8.1 gpi and a 100 grain head; total weight, fletchings, nock, insert and everything adds up to about 375 grains

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
It's more then likely timing. Or fletch contact.

Although I don't pay attention most times to spine when I do paper tune, since you can get a good tear from a super stiff shaft like we shoot indoors on low lbs the next size spine for a normal setup is still tuneable. If it were a spin issue it would show in a left or right tear not up and or done.

Are you sure that the cams are hitting correctly? If your not 100% sure what your doing cams can be out of time and still appear to be hitting at the same time depending on how or when you checking. Are they at full draw at the same time or is one hitting first and then your pulling them both to the stops?

·
space for rent
4,080 Posts
Forget the suggested setting of the stops and start adding to the buss and removing from the control until the tear goes away. when it goes away reset your stops. Been there and done that with a vengeance.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks, i dont have access to a bow press, but maybe this weekend ill get around to one and try some different things. thanks for everyones input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts