Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away from archery for many years and looking to get back into it and I am in need of some advice/help.

I bought a Mathews Feather-Light bow brand new many years ago and only shot it a couple of times when it was new. It was then stored in a hard case in my garage since then and has never been shot since then. I am wondering if the string and cables need to be replaced before shooting it again.

The string and cables all look like they are brand new with zero signs of wear, fraying or other damage. They look the same as they did when I bought the bow.

Is it safe to shoot the bow as is without replacing the string and cables?

I was wanting to shoot this bow as is without putting any money into it right now because I want to go ahead and get a more modern bow as soon as I get a bit of shooting time in with this one so I can figure out what I want to get.

I am mainly wondering if the bow is safe to use with it's original string and cables?

The string, cables and the rest of the bow are in basically brand new condition with no signs of wear, damage or use. It looks like it was just taken off the rack at a shop.

I understand that the current string and cables that are on the bow are not made with modern materials so there will be some performance loss. At some point they will be replaced down the road after I get a new bow.

I am basically just wondering if the bow would be in shootable condition or not in its current state without replacing the string and cables.

Any input, help or useful information will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
1. How may years ago?
2. You won’t “figure out what to get” by shooting that one. Go shoot some bows if you want a different one.
3. Take in to a shop with you and let them inspect it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Doubt they will fail suddenly but they are likely stretched and l would just replace them if I was planning on shooting/hunting with the bow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. How may years ago?
2. You won’t “figure out what to get” by shooting that one. Go shoot some bows if you want a different one.
3. Take in to a shop with you and let them inspect it.
Thanks for your reply.

1. Its got to be more than a dozen+.
2. I'm not trying to figure out what to get by shooting that one. I was just wanting to shoot it to get back into shooting but not for anything else as far as what to get.
3. That's something else I was going to do. I was just wanting some other opinions from some others.

Doubt they will fail suddenly but they are likely stretched and l would just replace them if I was planning on shooting/hunting with the bow.
Thanks for your reply.

I was only planning on using it to get started shooting. Just to kind of get back into the swing of things. Just target shooting to work out the spider webs from not shooting for so long.

I shot a 2002 Hoyt Havoctec for a full year with it's original strings after I bought it in 2017. It had been stored in a closet for 5+ years barely being shot... I put atleast 2-3 thousand shots on that string before I replaced it... Probably 20-25 thousand shots on it from the previous owner. Did it need replaced, yes it had stretched... alot... But it could likely be shot just fine, until you decide you NEED a new string.
Thanks for your reply.

I figured there would be some stretch and that is fine, I can live with that. The bow is just going to be used to get me going again and used to shooting. I was thinking (and hoping) that the string and cables would be sound as far as safety but it would just not be up to par with performance and that's ok with me for now. I will be replacing them at some point, one way or another. I figured when I get a new bow this could be a backup and just to have fun with bow later. Maybe be something to lend others who are looking to try out shooting to see if they like it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Give it a good inspection and a few test shots, I got a 2006 allegiance with original string works fine

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Where old strings often go bad is from dry rotting underneath the serving. They look great but aren't necessarily so. It doesn't sound like your bow has been subject to excessive wet conditions. If that's the case I'd shoot it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Give it a good inspection and a few test shots, I got a 2006 allegiance with original string works fine
Thanks for your reply Liontracks.

I have given it a good inspection, and I even looked at the sting, cables, limbs and some other parts through a magnifying glass looking for anything that didn't look right and all looks well.

I was just wanting some opinions on if it would be safe to shoot without replacing the string and cables before I went ahead and tried it. I didn't want it to explode in my hands due to the old string or cables. They look fine though and I was thinking that they would probable just start to break a few strands at a time if there was an issue and not all at once.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for your reply Liontracks.

I have given it a good inspection, and I even looked at the sting, cables, limbs and some other parts through a magnifying glass looking for anything that didn't look right and all looks well.

I was just wanting some opinions on if it would be safe to shoot without replacing the string and cables before I went ahead and tried it. I didn't want it to explode in my hands due to the old string or cables. They look fine though and I was thinking that they would probable just start to break a few strands at a time if there was an issue and not all at once.
good on you to be safe and ask. it will help other folks when some need to ask later on and find this thread.

·
Registered
49,431 Posts
I have been away from archery for many years and looking to get back into it and I am in need of some advice/help.

I bought a Mathews Feather-Light bow brand new many years ago and only shot it a couple of times when it was new. It was then stored in a hard case in my garage since then and has never been shot since then. I am wondering if the string and cables need to be replaced before shooting it again.

The string and cables all look like they are brand new with zero signs of wear, fraying or other damage. They look the same as they did when I bought the bow.

I was wanting to shoot this bow as is without putting any money into it right now because I want to go ahead and get a more modern bow as soon as I get a bit of shooting time in with this one so I can figure out what I want to get.

I am mainly wondering if the bow is safe to use with it's original string and cables?

The string, cables and the rest of the bow are in basically brand new condition with no signs of wear, damage or use. It looks like it was just taken off the rack at a shop.

I understand that the current string and cables that are on the bow are not made with modern materials so there will be some performance loss. At some point they will be replaced down the road after I get a new bow.

I am basically just wondering if the bow would be in shootable condition or not in its current state without replacing the string and cables.

Yes replace them.

·
Bow Hunter
1,911 Posts
2-3+ years ?

I'm in the better safe than sorry crowd....get a new set installed ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts

Replace them. Probably stretched at this point.

·
Registered
19,780 Posts
The answer is it depends. I worked in a shop for several years and one day a guy comes in with a brand new looking bow that he had stored while he was active duty. 8 years this bow sat in a case in a closet at his parent's home. He brought it in to get set back up for him. He and a co-worker asked me what I thought about the strings and if they should be replaced. I recommended that he did replace them because like most things, string material will degrade over time. They agreed but wanted to shoot a couple times to get him set back up while he waited on strings. Five minutes later I hear the unmistakable sound of a bow coming apart in the range. Apparently the cable on this bow only had 4 shots left in it because on the 5th it blew apart. The strings looked brand new, having apparently only been shot a handful of times before it was put in storage.

I also know people who have shot old strings for years without a problem. For me though, the downside is far greater than the little money you'll save not changing them.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Two things cause strings to fail... Wear and time.
While you may be light in the wear department, you're way, way overdue in terms of time.
Replace them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good on you to be safe and ask. it will help other folks when some need to ask later on and find this thread.
Yes replace them.
2-3+ years ?

I'm in the better safe than sorry crowd....get a new set installed ;)
Replace them. Probably stretched at this point.
Two things cause strings to fail... Wear and time.
While you may be light in the wear department, you're way, way overdue in terms of time.
Replace them.
Thanks for your input everyone. It seems like replacement is the overwhelming recommendation. I appreciate all the help and I will be looking into finding a new cable and string.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The answer is it depends. I worked in a shop for several years and one day a guy comes in with a brand new looking bow that he had stored while he was active duty. 8 years this bow sat in a case in a closet at his parent's home. He brought it in to get set back up for him. He and a co-worker asked me what I thought about the strings and if they should be replaced. I recommended that he did replace them because like most things, string material will degrade over time. They agreed but wanted to shoot a couple times to get him set back up while he waited on strings. Five minutes later I hear the unmistakable sound of a bow coming apart in the range. Apparently the cable on this bow only had 4 shots left in it because on the 5th it blew apart. The strings looked brand new, having apparently only been shot a handful of times before it was put in storage.

I also know people who have shot old strings for years without a problem. For me though, the downside is far greater than the little money you'll save not changing them.
Wow, that is one of the main things I am afraid of happening. Even though the string and cable look fine I am a little afraid that it will go boom on me. The main reason I haven't just replaced them without asking here was wanting to not put money into this bow right now and using all my resources towards looking into getting a new bow. I was just wanting to shoot a little to get back into shape and up to speed but I guess that won't happen if my bow explodes on me.

Thanks for your information and input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check out archery shack, he has string sets for a pretty good price. That's where I got my Hoyt's new strings at... I believe I payed $45 on sale, They measured perfect and haven't stretched since breaking them in.
Thanks, will do. Is this the place: archeryshackstrings.com

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I change mine after a year or 5000 shots. Both about the same time frame
Hoyt Carbon Element I got crazy and went 10,000 shots. Almost lost that bow to a string break.
Thanks for your reply.

That's one of my concerns. On one hand I really don't want to put any money into it right now that I don't have to but I sure don't want to lose it to a break. I guess a change is basically insurance on the original investment.

·
Registered
19,780 Posts
I change mine after a year or 5000 shots. Both about the same time frame
Thanks for your reply.

That's one of my concerns. On one hand I really don't want to put any money into it right now that I don't have to but I sure don't want to lose it to a break. I guess a change is basically insurance on the original investment.
You'll want a backup bow anyway so get this one set up and save for your next. When you get the next, this one will have a new string set on it and be ready to go if/when you need it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts