Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go order a new Maxxis 31 today. I am a 28" draw length. I think I want the #3 cam based off of what I've read on here. From what I gather the #3 cam will have a smoother draw and be roughly 10fps slower than the #2 cam. The #2 cam will have a harsher draw, but be 10fps faster than the #3 cam. Both have a nice solid wall. Are these observations accurate? Anything else I should know about the two.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The #3 cam will only go to 29in draw length with the A mod. You are limited to the #2 cam for a 28in draw. Go to Hoyt.com and customer service and check the tune charts for the Maxxis 31.

·
Registered
21,475 Posts
It looks like you are correct. I could have swore there was an overlap at 28" when I looked at this earlier this week.
I had to look also. I normally just look at the AM info and they are the same cams but the DLs are just a little different.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I own an AlphaMax 35 and shoot a 29" bow. I started out with the #2's in the E slot, then switched to the #3's in the A slot. I am now back to the #2's with the E mods and will not change again.

I actually prefer the shorter/less steep valley, it forces me to be strong through the shot. I will tell you that on the AM35 with the #3 cam and A mod, there is very little valley either, at least on my rig there wasn't.

Best thing you can do is shoot both if possible and decide from there.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Going by the tune charts http://www.hoyt.com/assets/tune_charts/2010HoytMaxxis31.pdf , you have to go with the #3 cam. The #2 only goes up to 27.5
I think you can choose either with a 28" draw and the 31" bows. On the tune charts it doesn't show a 29" line for the AM35 and #3 cams yet I know it is possible as I owned one.

On the 31's the #2 with E mods or the #3 with A mods will give the same draw length(28"s).

I'm 99.9999999999999% sure of this! :shade:

·
Registered
21,475 Posts
I think you can choose either with a 28" draw and the 31" bows. On the tune charts it doesn't show a 29" line for the AM35 and #3 cams yet I know it is possible as I owned one.

On the 31's the #2 with E mods or the #3 with A mods will give the same draw length(28"s).

I'm 99.9999999999999% sure of this! :shade:
He is not doing an AM he is doing a Maxxis 31. A little bit of difference.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
He is not doing an AM he is doing a Maxxis 31. A little bit of difference.
I realize the bows are slightly different (ARC limbs/inline guard) but as I stated look at the AM35 tune charts, it DOES NOT show a 29" line for the 35 and #3 cams, yet it exists. At least the last time I looked at it there wasn't a line for that combination but I promise you it exists as I've owned one.

I can't see the tune charts right now from where I'm posting. Does the Maxxis 31 tune chart go all the way up to the E mod line? Is that where it stops at 27.5"s? I thought they went from 26-28 and 28-30 using A-E mods just like the AM bows.

I'll look at the charts when I get home I guess, like I said I can't see them from here. :embara:

·
Registered
21,475 Posts
I realize the bows are slightly different (ARC limbs/inline guard) but as I stated look at the AM35 tune charts, it DOES NOT show a 29" line for the 35 and #3 cams, yet it exists. At least the last time I looked at it there wasn't a line for that combination but I promise you it exists as I've owned one.

I can't see the tune charts right now from where I'm posting. Does the Maxxis 31 tune chart go all the way up to the E mod line? Is that where it stops at 27.5"s? I thought they went from 26-28 and 28-30 using A-E mods just like the AM bows.

I'll look at the charts when I get home I guess, like I said I can't see them from here. :embara:
Nope , did not notice that. The tune chart stops at the D module for 27 1/2 so an E would take it to 28.

To answer the origional question, you are right, the #2 cams are a little more aggresive and offer more speed.

The #3 are smoother.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
Nope , did not notice that. The tune chart stops at the D module for 27 1/2 so an E would take it to 28.

To answer the origional question, you are right, the #2 cams are a little more aggresive and offer more speed.

The #3 are smoother.
Thanks, I just couldn't see how they could be that different that they stopped short of an E module.

OP, you have your pick of which cam, like I stated earlier, try to shoot them both and let the cam pick you! :shade:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, ladies & gentleman I went with a #2 cam. I went into the shop thinking I wanted the #3 cam, but I decided to measure myself just to see before I left to go there. Using the divided by 2.5 formula I measured out to 27.8 inches. After talking to the tech at the shop I decided against the #3 cam. I figured after a d loop and all that I'd be better off with a 27.5" draw length. I shoot a 28" Mathews MQ32 right now and sometimes I feel like I'd be more comfortable shooting something a tad bit shorter. I was worried if I decided I needed a shorter draw length I was hosed with a #3 cam b/c I would be starting out as low as it would go. I figured if I start doubting my decision I can always tell myself at least my bow is faster. :shade:

·
Registered
25,080 Posts
Good choice I had originally bought the #2 and when I went down they told me that the #3 tuned better. It didnt feel bad then the strings stretched and now it feels long like you said now Im screwed but it still shoots pretty good

1 - 15 of 15 Posts