Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think minerals such as 30-06, VitaRack 26, Antler King, and other similar formulations contribute to improved Antler Growth and/or overall deer health? If yes, what do you use?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yes, but deer most likely get what they need in the food they consume. Having said that, if you're into it, supplement. I simply buy trace mineral salt at my local coop. If you think your deer suffer from low self-esteem, buy the brand name!

·
Embrace The Suck!
1,953 Posts
I've seen studies that prove they don't. Deer get all the minerals they need from their environment. One possible exception I could see would be a milking doe seeking out a source of calcium.

I still supplement, but I do it mostly to take pictures of the deer--not to give them bigger antlers. I use a mix of salt and trace mineral salt from the local Co-op. I tried the name brand stuff years ago and found that it performed worse at attracting deer for me than the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
933 Posts
98% of the trace mineral blocks are just plain salt, which doesn't do any good. If you want something that helps with antler growth, you need to get a bag of mineral that contains a 2 to 1 mixture of calicum and phosphorus. I always try to go with a 20% calicum and a 10% phosphorus. You can buy this at your local farm or feed store, just look on the bags to see what is in it. I pay around $15 for a 50lb bag. I will also set out a $5 trace mineral block to attract the deer to the area.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
theres no proof that any of the supplemented calcium or salt helps antler growth.i still use salt blocks though deer love them early season

·
Registered
805 Posts
Recentlly in the Deer and Deer hunting magazine was a article on mineral stations. In this article they noted that Bucks, Does and Fawns do benefit from these station but as said above salt licks do not add to antler growth. Now there are supplements/minerals/vitamins in some name brands that offer necessary supplements for the antler growth and the production of high protiens/nutrients in the milk. Without these minerals milk production and antler growth maybe hindered. Regular soil has lost or does not offer the necessary minerals needed for daily nutrition/vitamins/minerals. I don't know how much help % wise that it actually provides and I don't even know if it has totally been proven yet, but it does make sence. Our bodies need a certain amount of vitamins and minerals to work at its best potential (bone growth, health, strength etc.) I also do know that not all name brand mineral licks offer these necessary minerals/vitamins needed for the above. Yet these mineral products are attractents as a salt block are. Now I can't quote it word for word but you can get it on line through Deer and Deer hunting web page. The article was written by Daniel E Schmidt

·
Registered
630 Posts
I get the $6 50# mineral licks for livestock. I figure if it's good for the beef I like eating, it's probably good for the deer.

Then again, I'd go for a 200# doe before I shot a 12pt buck. Sounds like your goals are a little different than mine.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Jim are you talking about the brown or redish brown blocks? I believe those are trace mineral blocks for livestock. Those are 98% salt blocks that I was talking about. I use these along with sack mineral. They work good to attract deer to an area.

·
Registered
988 Posts
WOOHOOO....I spent 15min looking for this(normally I get distracted after 5). http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1180188

Read that thread and some of the link associated with it and I'd be suprised if it doesnt change your mind.

Deer and Deer hunting magazine
Remember who pays advertising for these magazines...Same reason you dont see articals admitting carbon clothing is bogus.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Wow what a thread with a ton of good info. Thanks Bowhunter311 that was some great info and reading. Not only that but it came from biologist that were giving true proof that mineral spots are nice but still not proven if or if ever in the near future will be. I recommend everyone to read the above post from a thread awhile back. Never the less I will still put out my mineral spots with "hope" that it does help in one way or another. This is what it is all about guys and I truly believe that plots with ample source of nutrients and good source of protiens are still the killer source for a well oiled deer herd. Good luck to all.... Great info.....
WOOHOOO....I spent 15min looking for this(normally I get distracted after 5). http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1180188

Read that thread and some of the link associated with it and I'd be suprised if it doesnt change your mind.

Remember who pays advertising for these magazines...Same reason you dont see articals admitting carbon clothing is bogus.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Like I've said after reading that....I doubt it will HURT anything so i will continue to do it.
Yeah, I started that thread, and as you can read, there is a TON of solid, factual information in that thread. Not a bunch of wild claims by people who stand to gain a financial dollar.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
There was an article in Quality Whitetails last spring I think. It stated that the minerals don't put on any extra inchesthat they could proove anyway, but they do need them and it does help them find what they need. I also read somewhere that a supplement with a ton of salt deos not help them at all. They'll eat the salt and it makes them thirsty so the go drink a bunch of water, then they are full and don't eat as much as they should be. I wish I courl remeber where that was from.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I started to post...and stopped. Thought about it, and decided to offer this, respectfully....

The article athttp://www.whitetailstewards.com/articlesonsite/deerbiology/antlergrowthandphysiology.htm is a great read. Two main points about antler growth- 1) genetics, and, 2) age. The author states maximum antler growth is dependent on optimum consumption of calcium and phosphorous.

And, most of those minerals come from diet. So, I guess the question one has to ask is, "Where I hunt, is the food source adequate to supply ALL necessary nutrients?" If the answer is no, can you supplement enough minerals to make a difference? In the wild, probably not! None of us have enough money! And if food sources are inadequate to supply minerals, it's probably inadequate in other regards.

Having said that, and if you have money to burn, do it! It's just for fun! I've been shopping at WalMart and saving money....so I can spend it feeding deer!

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Since I started to use Trophy Rock about 7 years back when I could but can no longer use it considered bait here in Michigan. The deer seemed to be much healthier and the Bucks had larger racks. Just what I have seen using my trail cameras. Had quite a few larger bucks coming to it as the spring switched over to summer they seem to all hit it once they found it and then dug a 3 foot wide by 30 inch deep whole where it was placed. Just some observations when I was able to use a mineral. Started using one call VMass but it is no longer available. Tried WTI 30.06 and it never drew any deer in even the 30.06 Plus. But for some reason the VMass did and once that did the Trophy Rock did the same thing. I set up a trail camera looking at it and got all kinds of pictures back then. Now I just use the TC on my small food plots and mock scrapes.

LFM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts