Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at a local sporting goods store this past weekend looking at last minute archery stuff and I came across these double down string silencers by apex gear. Knowing that my string leeches on my destroyer 350 are starting to tear and seeing on the package says no bow press needed and for 5.99 I was like yes please. Today I installed them and after letting go of the 4th or 5th shot all of a sudden I have excruciating pain in my left eye. I thought my peep sight shot into my eye some how. Holding my eye, I ran in the house to find a mirror expecting the worst and thank God I still have my eye. Back out side to further insect what went wrong I see both tales on the new silencer broke off during that last shot and one of then hit me in the eye like a rubber bullet. So I thought I would share this info before someone looses an eye.
Font Material property Publication Motor vehicle Metal

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Automotive design Automotive wheel system

Nose Cheek Skin Lip Chin

·
Registered
Mathews Triax 53" /bear Legion 52"
181 Posts
Thanks for the information, that soon your eye is fine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Interesting. I hope your eye recovers quickly. I have used those before (not the crossbow ones). But they haven't lasted any longer than the Mathews Monkey Tails. Again, I hope your eye recovers without any lingering effects.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The store that I was at only had the above ones and ones that need to be served in the string. I figured if they where strong enough to stay on a crossbow string there should be no problem on a compound. Wish I had just said no, 😉

·
Registered
PSE Ferocity, Elite Enlist, some KTBs
220 Posts
I hope you recover quickly and fully. The eyes are precious.
Albeit I think they are off the hook, legally, since the package says:
"Warning: Always wear eye protection ..."

I suppose they have tested it with 150lbs/250fps crossbows only.

·
Back Yard Champion
31,234 Posts
Glad you're okay......You know, I haven't used anything for silencing my strings or bows for matter in years. Ever heard 2000 Hoyt MagnaTec set to 67 pounds with 29" and a 380 gr arrow? Rattle trap and I killed over 40 deer with it in 15 years....
Hey, a modern bows are supposed to be super compared to older rattle traps...

·
Slinging Arrows
1,799 Posts
Glad your eye is OK.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad your eye is ok.
Honestly, I don't think you'll notice a difference in noise without the silencers. The string stop does far more for that.

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
That looks jolly nasty, I hope you're going to be ok ultimately. As a g!asses wearer (without them I can't find the woods, never mind something to shoot at), I always wear glasses with yellow tint lens to help with definition when shooting. It just so happens they are safety rated too.

Reactions: 77chevy

·
Huntoholic
1,852 Posts
Our eyes are precious, and I truly hope that you are ok, but the smartass in me can't help but ask, why would you make a post to complain about something hitting you in the eye with a picture of the instructions that clearly state always use eye protection?!?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Had a monkey tail from a brand new Mathews bow do the same thing. Scares me to see guys shooting brass nock points on traditional bows.

·
The Impartial Archer
19,885 Posts
People wear eye protection shooting bows? I doubt that very much. I also have used those and they didn't break on me. Could be old or not put on correctly......no offense OP just saying both tips broke off but not the part that actually goes around the string and holds it which seems odd.

If you want something more quiet and safer so you don't have to wear safety glasses when you shoot your bow ( :whistle: ) get some cat whiskers.

·
The Impartial Archer
19,885 Posts
Had a monkey tail from a brand new Mathews bow do the same thing. Scares me to see guys shooting brass nock points on traditional bows.
Don't worry about that......lol. Been at this for 40+ years and NEVER heard of an eye injury from a brass nock coming off a bow. I'm not saying it hasn't happened but the risk is not worth the worry for sure. People die from falls in the bath tub as well.....so at some point you have to just press on and live...........lol

If they come off it's because the weren't installed correctly......

·
Back Yard Champion
31,234 Posts
Our eyes are precious, and I truly hope that you are ok, but the smartass in me can't help but ask, why would you make a post to complain about something hitting you in the eye with a picture of the instructions that clearly state always use eye protection?!?
What rock you been hiding under?! Anything and everything has warnings now a days. It's the makers covering their azz...

·
Back Yard Champion
31,234 Posts
Another that hasn't been around all that much.....

Take a look. This bow was shot this way starting day one. It's been retired 3 times. Still like it is in the picture...Brass nock and cushion button.

Bicycle part Wood Tool Auto part Metal

·
Back Yard Champion
31,234 Posts
Don't worry about that......lol. Been at this for 40+ years and NEVER heard of an eye injury from a brass nock coming off a bow. I'm not saying it hasn't happened but the risk is not worth the worry for sure. People die from falls in the bath tub as well.....so at some point you have to just press on and live...........lol

If they come off it's because the weren't installed correctly......
Years back someone posted of having a eye injury from a brass nock coming off and factory strings. His story sucked. Factory strings have shrink tubing covering the nocks. Shrink wrap is dang tough.
Well, the next came string makers not installing brass nocks. And then stupid heavy rubber thingies came into being. I ain't seen one yet that hasn't slipped.

Got a set of strings without speed buttons. No problem. Measured my old strings for the brass nocks. Installed the nocks and used the same rubber tubing used for aligning peeps. Yep, slipped it on so to cover the brass nocks....No heat needed like shrink wrap...........

1 - 20 of 70 Posts