Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering as to weather this happens often or not?
Do people draw tags and someone else shoots the animals and make it look like the person who drew the tag harvested the animal?
i assume that this could potentially be done if people know others that could draw tags.

Not to stir things up ,
but just asking as i never read things like these..

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
All the time
My wife's coworker talks of her husband shooting many deer every year. Says he uses her, her moms and grandmother's tags.
Apparently they are all eligible to get tags but none of them hunt.
Some day they will have the game warden at their door step.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Very common around here for guys to shoot their "wife's buck" first and then continue hunting for their own.

I've called the GC thrice over the past few decades for serious offenses and nothing was ever done about any of them. One was a poached bear, One was a number of poached bucks by the same person, and just this past year was a grossly negligent trapper who had illegal sets all over the place.

I spoon fed them all the details they needed and nothing was ever done. I guess it's just a free for all anymore.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Happens all the time. I've known of many people buying and filling their wife's tag without even thinking twice about it. Funny thing is these same people would never think of breaking other laws and freely use the word "poacher" for trespassers or road hunters. They don't see themselves in the same category.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Humans are evil, just look at what we do to other humans. Just because we put the tag "Hunter" on them, doesn't mean they are above reproach.

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
8,179 Posts
Nope, never happens. Close thread now.

:uzi:----------------------------------------*:elch:*:dog1:*:llama:*:llama:*:llama:

:dancing:
:set1_CHAPLIN3:

·
<------Reese
Reckoning, GEN7X, Fast Eddie XL, Easton 6.5 Matrix, DCA IconX 625
15,655 Posts
I think in PA it is a tradition. Especially during deer drives. Keep shooting until all brown is down and sort the tags out later.

The spouse tags are also popular in PA.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A woman here in Alberta drew a coveted 438 Sheep tag, went on the hunt but her boyfriend shot it. Huge fines. Happens all the time, I am less inclined to be mad if it's a child that does it IE: You draw a Mule deer tag and let your 10 year old niece shoot it etc

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Oh it happens but I don't call it illegal hunting, it's called poaching.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
All the time. The most popular one here recently in the buck only zones is having your kids buy tags because they get 2 youth doe tags (1 gun and 1 bow) and having the parents fill them

·
Registered
20,670 Posts
Why do you think youth season is so popular.
Exactly. Kansas has had a youth rifle season in early September for the last several years and you wouldn't believe the number of 5 year olds killing giant deer that are still out in the bean fields before dark.

·
Registered Deer Hunter!
2,984 Posts
Learn a new trick everyday...

Sadly this has been going on for a long time. All over the place as I am seeing in this thread.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
There are guys near me who haven't bought a tag in 20 years, I can't report them since they let me hunt their property.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think in PA it is a tradition. Especially during deer drives. Keep shooting until all brown is down and sort the tags out later.

The spouse tags are also popular in PA.
I believe in some states it is legal to keep a deer drive going as long as one member has an open tag. It's basically a transferable tag to whoever shoots the next deer which is crazy to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
No, they don't. They may poach deer illegally tho.

Lots of stories about knowing people who shoot too many deer, take them illegally, etc. And also lots of complaints that it happens over and over. But not much said about turning someone in or even just an anonymous tip to your local DNR...

If you aren't going to fix the problem, you are a part of the problem.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts