Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never really noticed if the squirrels take off or get loud, or anything when deer approach. I guess all I hear is my heartbeat... Do they react in any way that can give me a hint if something is approaching?

Thanks for all your help in this forum!!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have noticed that a tree rat will bark and face the direction the deer is coming from. the only problem is they seem to bark at everything including wind blown leaves.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
The same goes for in my neck of the woods. I actually listen for the barking because then I know something is more than likely coming form that direction.

·
Registered
808 Posts
While on a hunt this weekend, the squirrels started going nuts about 100 yards from me. I went on alert for a deer, as it was almost dark. The barking kept getting closer, as the squirrels closer to me joined in on the tirade, leading me to believe that the deer was coming right at me. I couldn't hear anything on the ground, but watched intently. Soon I saw something moving about 25 yards from my tree.... a bobcat; stalking silently along, looking for the ground squirrels that were playing around an old stump minutes before. He searched around an old stump for a couple of minutes, then moved on with the squirrels marking his route with their worried barking. A pretty cool experience.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I noticed squirrels would seem to warn of approaching deer/animals about 15 years ago. So, i pay attention to their warnings all the time......Just wish they wouldn't bark so much when they bust me!:eek:

Also, something else i've learned to listen for are Blue Jays and crows/ravens. They act in a similar manner as the squirrels. The Jays will typically hop along brush as they call out their warnings.

Just something else to consider.

-T

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Seem to get along ok

Normally they don’t pay much attention to deer and turkeys. Now a fox, coyote, or bobcat is a different story. Picture fresh off my trail camera.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I hunt in the hardwoods a lot, and the squirrels never pay any attention to the deer. I have seen them look in that direction, but never start barking at the sight of a deer.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
On rare occasions, I have had a deer come in and startle a squirrel momentarily. I always pay attention to squireel sounds. You never know.

·
Registered
252 Posts
yes

I have seen/heard them bark at deer. I recently watched several squirrels eating and playing. The closest one to me which was also closest to the ground started barking and carried on like this for ten minutes. I saw something moving on the ground(assumed it was the squirrel) and thought it was strange to have a squirrel barking on the ground. I bit later, I saw a ruffed grouse. Could have shot, because they are in season and it was at 15 yards. Didn't though. Figured if my cover was that good, i didn't want to spook everything in case deer were nearby. They wern't.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,368 Posts
Yea. I have had them alert me to a deer approaching. Not that it's a given though, I don't "not look" when they aren't barking though either. Blue Jays will yell at them as well.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I have an ongoing personal experiment with this, I have really tried to watch squirrels when I have deer around....conclusion, squirrels will bark at pretty much anything, including NOTHING!! Therefore not a reliable predictor of deer approaching!! Lol, '94

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
dogg3250 said:
I have noticed that a tree rat will bark and face the direction the deer is coming from. the only problem is they seem to bark at everything including wind blown leaves.
you said man also bluejays will react to everything as well. good luck everyone

·
Registered
563 Posts
Meat said:
They usually go into a barking fit when a deer is coming around. That is my experience.

Meat
I've noticed this. I've seen them bark at deer, so I pay attention in the direction they are barking. It's usually nothing, but you never know.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I think squirrels bark because they can. They probably do become more alert with deer around but if I see a deer, I can't hear the squirrels over my heart pounding. However, I have begun to notice crows, they will stir up when a deer comes through if it spooks them.

I did watch a bobcat catch a squirrel on the ground last year, that was awesome!!!!!

I enjoy watching the squirrels and chipmunks, it helps to pass the time....

·
Registered
409 Posts
dogg3250 said:
I agree, those things are not very smart.........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.