Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Performance wise, do the AR hang in there? I might actually be able to spring for a little more expensive bow. Does the AR 34 compare to something like the RazorTec (they are both right around $600)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The AR is simply an awsome bow....yet so is the hoyt. I shot both and ended up with the AR. The AR seems to have a smoother draw and is easier to let down. It has more adjustments in the limb pockets and it has a solid back wall. I would suggest you shoot them both and make your own decision.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one thing I LOVE about the Hoyt's this year is the Cam & 1/2. The wall is awesome.

The Cam & 1/2 comes w/ the range as far as the draw length goes. Does the AE come w/ a range on the dray length or does the whole cam have to be changed like the Mathews?

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
I have never personally shot the bow, but from what I've heard and been witness too, the AR's are top-end bow that competes with every other major brand bow out there in the performance department. The true test will be how it performs for you in your hands and with the way you shoot. I believe that you will be happy with any of the top-end bows that are out there. They are each uniquely different, and each possess features that are better for different archers. The trick to it is finding what works for you. I'm on my 6th and 7th bow in two years and I'm quite happy with 6 and 7, but who know's what else I'll find that I like better;)

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Both bow are great, but I think the advantage would go to the Hoyt because you can adjust the draw lenght. I am shooting the AR37 and love it. But I have shot the CyberTec and the RazorTec they both feel very nice. The AR is lighter and has more adjustments for exrta weight on the riser and the sight adjustment. The Hoyt has the 3/4 split limbs and locking limb pockets with the cam1/2. I would have a hard time choosing between the 2 bows becasue I have shot the PSE line for so long and the AR is a sweet bow, but I still think that the Hoyt has a little advantage.

LeEarl

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
DarthTedd said:
6 or 7? Whoa! The wife won't like that. :D :) :p
Wellllll, I don't know about that. The 7th one was supposed to be a bow I was going to set up for spots, but she liked the color of it and she refers to that bow as "my bow". So maybe it's not really my 7th - more liker her first:D I love it though. I'm stoked that we're going to be sharing this hobby....finally. I love her to death and I'm glad we've found more stuff we can do as a family

·
Registered
548 Posts
now what sold me on an AR 34 versus a new Hoyt was the way it shot for me and not how much adjustability it had. i felt the AR had a little smoother draw and had less recoil. plus it was a tad bit quieter even with less accessories on it. i also like the fact it is so much lighter than the hoyt. makes packing the thing around the mountains that much easier.
either bow will be a good choice in my opinion. they are both high quality. its just a matter of taking some time and shooting both side by side and making a choice based on that. good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
...had my first opportunity to shoot an ar 34 yesterday...my impressions were that it was a solid, easy to shoot bow that shot quite well as it was set up...trophy taker, 12 inch carbon rod stab...while it didnt reach out and grab me as the bow I would trade my current set ups for, I am sure I could carry it with confidence...just a different feel compared to my Hoyts and Mathews that I am used to...wiley.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, thanks for all the info. I might have to see about shooting an AR this weekend at the shop.

I checked ebay for some of the AR 34's, but their aren't many deals. I would rather go thru the shop for it.

F

·
0 Posts
AR31, 34 vs Razortec

Have purchased both all three. Think the razortec is going to woods this year. To me, the Razortec is more consistent shooter and is solid bow. Seems each time I pick up an AR, have to shoot several shots to get consistency. ALso, looks like Riser on AR31 may be twisted again (already replace riser, limbs, on 4th set of strings).

Shot placement had a big change and can not do laser tune as mentioned in manual. Haven't had the ar34 very long, but at least it is not chewing up buss cable yet.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Several people commented that the AR is so much lighter than the Hoyt. The AR34 is 3.6 pounds and I think the Razortec is 3.7 or 3.8, so it's not that different. The AR shoots nice, but I think the Hoyt has it beat as far a feel goes. It has a better wall and more adjustability. I like the grip alot more, but that's personal preference.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I shot my friend's Razertec and didn't care for the handle. I can't get used to these new, skinny handles.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I woudl say yes - I think the AR bows are really good bows.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Uh-huh

I would have to agree with centerpunch. The Hoyt is that good. I shot the AR's as soon as my local shop got them in. The grip was extremely comfortable, however, I was shocked at how much vibration goes through that riser at the grip. They claim they spent 10 years designing this to be vibration free yet it is nowhere near. Also, and I may be dead wrong on this, but all cutting away on the riser makes it look like it would be weak. How many trips into a bow press would that thing take? I have had 3 Mathews and a BOwtec and so far nothing shoots like the Hoyt. Just my opinion, but there it is.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have one of the first AR's to come off the line (supposedly I am #4) and I have had no real problems with this bow...except upgrading to the newer limb style that they changed almost immediately. Very quiet, quick, and accurate bow. As for Hoyt, I like em, just bought an ultratec for spots...but for the woods, I will stick to the AR.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
DarthTedd

I thought you already bought a MT Sport??? Are you going to trade already??? This archery can sure get expensive.:D WR

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
ive shot several of the hoyts andf it's a killer bow to say the least but after i shot the ar i went with the ar37. there was just something about the bow that is hard to put it down. it is smooth no vibration or hand shock and all you hear is the arrow hitting the target. so that is where i went
rob k

1 - 20 of 32 Posts