Archery Talk Forum banner

Do turks roost in the same spots all year long?

971 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BigBirdVA 
#1 ·
So I'm hunting one of my favorite early season stand sites the this weekend. It's on public ground and it's really only good the first few weeks of the season. Once duck season is over, it's done. That being said I don't mind overhunting it early.

Anyhow, Saturday night I'm sitting in the tree and notice some movement about 100 yards out in the thick stuff. Sweet! I figure it's a deer or 2. I pull up the binoculars and it's a turkey, then another, then another. All of a sudden they start flying up into the trees. THere were about 8 or 10 of them. Kind of neat to see.

Sunday night I'm in the same spot. About 6 pm or so I hear a turkey fly down and she landed about 25 yards in front of me. She walked around for awhile clucking and yelping softly, eventually wandering off and up into the same tree. 30 minutes later the entire flock flies up into the trees, I'd say about a dozen this time.

I've been hunting this area for deer since I was 12 years old. I have never seen turkeys here until the last few years. I rarely see a bowhunter in this area so I doubt there are any turkey hunters. Now I seem to have found one of their roosts, purely by accident. Do they roost in the same general areas all year long or is it a different spot from month to month, year to year?

See less See more
#2 ·
well i would say no because on my place the are where the food is and the cover and if they are scared out of the roost the will rarely go back to it

#3 ·
See, my area is different. The turks on my property roost in the same place all year. Now, they may roost in different roost on different nights depending on where they are on the property, but every few nights or so they will be roosting in about two large oaks right near one of my stands.

The next night they may or may not be there, but within a night or two they will be back.

#6 ·
The land I hunt on they roost in the swamp over standing water the majority of time. That narrows it down to about 4+ miles of swamp they can roost in. I hunted the same area a couple of days in a row and what appeared to be the same flock was in a different spot every day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.