Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,104 Posts
No different than the auto industry. Always released months before years end, and always a higher price.
It'd make no difference if they all released on Jan.1, you'd still have someone with an old bow that they purchased on Dec. 31.
Makes no difference to me.

·
'13 KTM 450 SX FE
2,263 Posts
No different than the auto industry. Always released months before years end, and always a higher price.
It'd make no difference if they all released on Jan.1, you'd still have someone with an old bow that they purchased on Dec. 31.
Makes no difference to me.
My exact thoughts.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Auto industry and RV industry are worse. Autos are coming out now in September (if not sooner). Some manufacturers have even done 1/2 year models. In the RV industry, Most new models will come out in May. 2019 models in May of 2018! I understand that they want to get a jump on things as a competitive advantage, but it has gotten ridiculous. In the end, I think it depreciates them quicker. But overall, I think it is a product of an "I want it now" society.

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
Manufacturers releasing bows before the holidays is smart for them. However saying that it is a new trend for some companies to release is October is a little false. PSE and Hoyt have done it for a while now. I think Bear is another that has done it for a number of years.
It has been enough of a trend that consumers should be aware by now that buying a new bow in September means the bow you just bought will be N-1 within a few months at most.
Pro Shops (especially small ones) have the hardest time with this because they need enough stock to sell for the preseason rush without getting stuck with leftovers that they have to sell at a large discount. Every bow they sell at a large discount is 1 less that they sell at margins they need to survive.
The price of archery equipment as a whole is getting crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
6,254 Posts
Nah. BTDT and SOS/DD :).

#1 I sort of agree, but #2 and #3 I've been hearing in exactly the same form since the 80's when I first started shooting. The complaints have always been exactly the same: the new bows are too similar to the old bows, with no real innovation, they're too slow. And they're way way too expensive, so expensive that nobody can afford them. Same exact thing every year, always has been and probably always will be.

It's as if the plaintiffs want way way more for way way less than is actually possible: imagine that! :). On the one hand, they want bow companies to take enormous risks making the most oddball, slam-cam bow, made out of nothing less than aircraft-grade materials, with an ATA that nobody likes (for every one guy who says it's too short there's another who says it's too long), cables and yokes going all over the place, and so violent and harsh that the average archer can barely pull it back anyway. And on the other, they want it priced about like a gallon of milk, regardless of whether the seller would even recover the cost.

#1, yeah I can kind of see it, but then you get all the complaints that the bows are released too late and not available for that years hunting season.

So what can you do? Well, nothing....

So, no.... Because this same thing goes round and round every year and has probably ever since the compound bow was invented, I tend to doubt the complaint. If it were really true, the entire industry would have died out long ago and all of us would be doing something else. Fishing, firearms, or golf or something. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've seen the opposite in fact: today you get so much _more_ bow for your money than you did 30 or even 20 years ago, it's not even funny. Prices are rising all the time and it's ever-present because of inflation, but the quality of bow you get now is in another universe than when I first started shooting....

lee.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Her ting bows should come out in the summer time and target bows In The late fall/ early winter.

At least that’s what I’d do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Don't agree with his 3 "disturbing trends", especially the 3rd point about performance. The relentless pursuit of speed at all costs it finally over, thankfully, and now companies are focusing on making bows and cam systems that are more comfortable to draw and shoot. That's a lot better for "archery" than blazing fast bows that crack like a 22 rifle and are difficult to draw and shoot.

·
Registered
494 Posts
i dont like the prices going up, but it is what it is, pay it or buy used.
I could give a crap when they release bows, next subject.
No new major innovations? Its just like alot of products, they have been improving them long enough that there just is not room for life changing improvements. I dont think they expect most consumers to buy a new bow every year like they did 10-15 years ago, and with that in mind think about the price complaints again, engineering costs on the same product is the same weather you sell 50 bows or 500,000 amd they have to make that cost up somehow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts