Archery Talk Forum banner

Do you cut-up your own deer

1330 Views 36 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  Ray.Klefstad
The reason I ask this, is because in northern Wisconsin, it's 77 degrees out. I have been a meatcutter for more than 25 years, and I can break down that deer tonight,and cut it into steaks, and roasts on saturday. If I had to wait till monday morning to take it to John Does :) meat market, I doubt I'll go out tonight.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
I do my own. Have a fridge in the garage that is just for beer and deer.:darkbeer:
I'll shoot em, skin em, and quarter em the same night to get them into the fridge.

· Registered
908 Posts
I will 1/4 them in the field and then put on ice, and debone and seperate cuts at home that night or the next day if it is above 65degrees. Colder than that and I debone and seperate cuts at the cooler and then trim and package at home. I will take some to the locker to have jerky or snack sticks made.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Up in this area, the cost is around $100.00 a deer. When I started doing other hunters deer, I was getting $35.00. The deer did'nt get any bigger, we just charge more.

It's too good a money to pass up, but I cut way back about 5 years ago. Got to be too much, on top of a full tine job.

Whats the going rate in your area?

· Registered
4,071 Posts
save a ton of money and do it yourself. Butterfly the loins for steak. Cut as many steaks as you want out the rear quarters. Make roast and burger with the rest.

The only think I do different than the rest of these guys is that I usually let the meat cure in the cooler for 6-10 days.

· Registered
763 Posts
Yep, my way isn't looked upon too kindly by some.....because it's the way poachers do it in my area....but it's fast. Since I'm on my own private property there aren't concerns about leaving the carcass.

Take the cooler from the truck (or on a 4-wheeler) to the deer. Take the backstrap and the two quarters (without the bone) on one side. Get up into the neck meat some.

Flip and repeat.

Come back in 12-24 hours and hunt coyotes/crows if you want.

Doesn't waste as much meat as you would think and takes about 10 minutes if you've done it a few times before and have two good sharp knives. (One to cut through the hair/skin...that hair dulls 'em fast.) Never have to lift or drag the deer...just the cooler:wink:

It really makes sense in warmer weather.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
I do my own. Have a fridge in the garage that is just for beer and deer.:darkbeer:
I'll shoot em, skin em, and quarter em the same night to get them into the fridge.
EXACTLY!
Once I get a deer skinned quartered it goes into contractor bags and then either goes in a big marine cooler or the frigde in my garage!
The only time I don't enjoy doing mine is when I kill one early and its 75-80 degrees in my garage. When that happens I just put ice in the bottom of a big canning pot and as I clean up my roasts and steaks and meat for grinding, I put it in a bag that is on top of the ice. I try to keep my meat as cold as I can through the whole process.

To the guys who say you don't know enough to do it yourself...It may seem a little intimidating your first time but just get in there and do it. I still learn a little every time I do it. Just get in there and follow the muscle groups...you'll figure it out.

· Registered
264 Posts
Processing a deer

Rancid Crabtree posted a GREAT guide to processing in the Wild Game Cooking forum. It is freaking awesome if you want to do your own. And if you don't do your own, you should at least try it one time just so you can say you did.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
Hang em in the cooler 5 to 7 days, bone it out and cut it up myself. I don't cut individual steaks though. I just leave the chunks whole and when I wrap em for the freezer I mark the package; " S/R" short for steak / roast. When you thaw it for dinner you decide then if you want steaks, if so slice away at whatever thickness you feel like at the time. otherwise you have a nice little roast. This cuts down on possible freezer-burn and cuts down on butchering time.

· Registered
460 Posts
I cut a big doe up on Sunday, it was just too warm to wait another day. (shot Saturday night). I cut the heck out of my finger too. I usually take one deer to a Mennonite butcher every year to get summer sausage made though, it is awesome. By the way I think we all should add a tube of super glue to our packs, It really works to stop a cut from bleeding.

· Registered
1,594 Posts
deer

been cutting my own deer up for about the past 12 years it doesnt take long once you know what to do. when its cool we hang them for a few days then butcher but when i go down south we quarter them then put them in a fridge and cut them up between hunting.

· Registered
10,318 Posts
I don't cut individual steaks though. I just leave the chunks whole and when I wrap em for the freezer I mark the package; " S/R" short for steak / roast. When you thaw it for dinner you decide then if you want steaks, if so slice away at whatever thickness you feel like at the time. otherwise you have a nice little roast. This cuts down on possible freezer-burn and cuts down on butchering time.
I do that as well. Those pieces grilled whole are fantastic!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.