Archery Talk Forum banner

Do you donate venison

1K views 34 replies 34 participants last post by  Cwilder 
#1 ·
I have been hearing an ad on a local radio station and the N.H. foodbank is looking for venison and wild game donations. I have donated processed venison every year, I was told many elderly former hunters are overjoyed to get venison and it is a way to support the good image of hunting as well as contributing to the community. They said in the ad they will take whole deer or processed.

They have a system for accountability at the foodbank, they take your tag number from the deer and check your drivers license. They then log in the weight of the meat donated and keep a log. One cannot sell venison in N.H. from your deer.
You must register a deer in N.H. at a checking station where they also attach a metal serial numbered tag to the deer. The tag must stay with the deer nuntil processed and the hunter who shot it must be with the animal when it is transported.

I think in view of the current economic situation many will be hard pressed to make ends meet. As I am by no means wealthy, I have my Air Force retirement and owe little in mortgage and just have living expenses for bills. I feel I am better of than many, and instead of looking at what I don't have, I focus on what I do have and there are many in need.
QUESTIONS: Does your area have a foodbank that takes game?

Are you considering donating ( not all will, understandably they too have mouth's to feed and bills to pay)

See less See more
#2 ·
if i shot more than 1 deer i would, but i'm darn lucky to even get 1... and my family loves venison so if i only get one, it doesn't last long. but i certainly would donate if i had more than we would consume. what radio station did you hear that on?

#5 ·
I try to donate at least one a year, I have heard that one deer ground into burger can supply something like 135 meals to those in need. In these tough times my wife are by no means wealthy but we can still afford to eat, so as a sportsman I want to do my part to help those less fortunate.

#7 ·
Yes

Yes, I donate venison. On average one a year. If you count all the goodies I give away to friends and family it is much more. lol.

#11 ·
Picky Foodbank!

I use to donate one or more deer in Ohio every year. There were processors that donated thier time also and there was no cost to the hunter other than thier tag, gas, equipment cost, gas, time off work, gas, insurance, gas, scouting. gas. etc (you get the picture).

The number of processors declned greatly and there were fewer that donated thier time free so hunters were ask to pay for processing. I grumbled but did my part still donating at least one deer a year.

We were allowed to direct who received the donation so I ask that mine go to a church meal center my wife suggested. The next year I received a letter from the head of the church's meal program with specific instructions on how the meat should be processed and packaged (increasing my processing cost).

I felt like I just offered to buy a meal with the last few dollars in my pocket for a bum who then proceeds to ordered filet mignon.

I quit donating that year. I understand the system for dealing with the hunters donations has gotten a lot better but I just stopped donating due to the extra cost I incurred.

Sorry for the rant but it's even tough to give something away anymore without someone demanding it the thier way or no way.

#12 ·
I use to donate one or more deer in Ohio every year. There were processors that donated thier time also and there was no cost to the hunter other than thier tag, gas, equipment cost, gas, time off work, gas, insurance, gas, scouting. gas. etc (you get the picture).

The number of processors declned greatly and there were fewer that donated thier time free so hunters were ask to pay for processing. I grumbled but did my part still donating at least one deer a year.

We were allowed to direct who received the donation so I ask that mine go to a church meal center my wife suggested. The next year I received a letter from the head of the church's meal program with specific instructions on how the meat should be processed and packaged (increasing my processing cost).

I felt like I just offered to buy a meal with the last few dollars in my pocket for a bum who then proceeds to ordered filet mignon.

I quit donating that year. I understand the system for dealing with the hunters donations has gotten a lot better but I just stopped donating due to the extra cost I incurred.

Sorry for the rant but It's even tough to give something away anymore without someone demanding it the thier way or no way.
That always burns me!:mad: I have had a computer turned down because it had a Windows 98 operating system, or rejecting toys that arent new in the box... umh if you have NOTHING wouldnt something be better!!!

#15 ·
Interesting quote about Ohio....I am going on a whitetail hunt there in Oct. and was looking for a place to donate the meat. I will be in Columbus, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

#16 ·
We have a local high school vocational school with a meat cutting class. They take donated deer and process it free of charge and donate to soup kitchens and hunger banks. Pretty good program. They get the meat cutting experience, the meat is donated and it cost the hunter nothing. I usually donate 1 or 2 deer a year.

#17 ·
i have an older friend tghat can't hunt alot so if my family gets an extra deer we call him. and it makes his day ,so thats the way i donate my deer.

#18 ·
:thumb:yes,i donated 2 last year.in Va we have Hunters for the Hungry and the program seems to be a good one.According to their newsletter they collected around 380,000 lbs of usda prime venison statewide last year,goes to needy families,elderly, etc.you can give $ for processing donations but its not required. they do fund raisers sometimes,raffles etc. I figure if the good Lord gives me a great season the least I can do is pass some along to help someone else out.

#19 ·
for some reason im pretty sure the food banks in this area refuse any wild game donations for fear of disease or improper handling, it is to bad because it sounds like a great program. but im pretty sure they dont do it here.

#20 ·
Yes. This is a wonderful program. In Missouri it's called Share the Harvest. If you find the right processor they take care of it all. It doesnt get any better then us doing what we love and feeding those in need at the same time. It also gives me another reason to buy a couple extra doe tags!

#23 ·
My area butcher takes donations...I try to donate a few a year.

#26 ·
I would be happy to donate deer if I could take more than I could use, but my state only allows two deer and I can easily eat that myself. When I hunted out of state (usually near relatives), I gave the deer to my family and friends.

If I ever stay with a friend to hunt, I would first offer the meat to my host. Properly butchered venison is so good, I can't imagine anyone turning it down.

Ray

#27 ·
I haven't in the past, but might consider it this year. I spend more money on hunting than I should, but I justify it in my mind by saying I'm supplementing my grocery bill for the year. I grind my own burger and process my own deer. Usually I take enough deer to where I don't have to buy beef for the entire year. This past year I took 4 deer and I was out of venison by July.

This year I have an opportunity to hunt a suburban area that has a ton of deer. I might donate a few does from that area because they need to be thinned out and I won't go through more than 4 or 5 deer....

#28 ·
in Iowa we have HUSH (help us stop hunger). there are lockers in almost every county that participate. I believe that HUSH takes monetary donations and uses that to pay the processing fees to the lockers.

I haven't donated yet because I haven't shot enough! but I always hope to

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.