Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we all agree that scent elimination or reduction technological is to some extent (maybe a bunch) overrated and oversold, do you feel like you have been duped with $500 dollars worth of ScentLock clothing in scent free bags in your storage room?

·
Registered
11,804 Posts
Nope.... have'nt spent a dime on it, but I would if I did.

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
I do not feel duped because I do everything I can to lower my odor in the woods, heck I still even use the wind after I go thru my scent elimination routine. Don't like the stuff don't buy it, but why do you care what another hunter uses?

·
Registered
23,335 Posts
I didn't buy my scent-loc to eliminate my scent. I bought it because it is very good quality and very warm, so no, I have not been duped.

·
faller downer
2,654 Posts
Nope.... have'nt spent a dime on it, but I would if I did.
this.

like my Granny used to say about fishermen & lures .. the Lures have caught more Fishermen than fish.

I think it applies greatly to your subject matter as well.

Dont get me wrong one needs to take precautions but playing the wind is your best bet

·
Registered
410 Posts
Maybe overrated but it isn't bogus. "forget the wind" is a ridiculous overstatement. However the stuff does help and every little bit helps. If the clothes keep just enough scent outta the air that a buck may stop and sniff and keep walking instead of running away, then I wouldn't feel ripped off and it was worth it. I use it as part of my routine but I don't depend on it for miracles.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I agree with some statements above. It is just one tool that I use in my scent elimination routine, not the only one. It is very comfortable and high quality clothing. I have been using the same suit for four seasons. Still in great shape.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well said steadfast! I also own scentlok, but I may not buy anymore if I can't afford it. I shot just as many deer before scentlok, but I do believe it has helped me getting closer shots at mature animals. I do believe it works to a certain extent. So no I don't think I was duped.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
Know enough about chemistry to know it couldn't do as claimed, especially the regenertion. So i never bought into it from the start.
Do i own some yep! It was 75% off at dicks's so $25 for a nice camo jacket was hard to beat...scent lok or not.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I don't think anyone ever bought any scent reduction gear thinking it would somehow make them magically invisible to deer ?!? It's all part of a successful scent reducing system that can and WILL help.

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
if it has been proven scientifically (which i believe that it has) that all carbon based clothing cannot be reactivated in a household dryer and will absord ZERO odor once full (well before it leaves the manufacturor), how are these companies still in business? I will admit that i do like the style of some of these carbon based items, but i dont believe that most people are buying them for that purpose. Are we are hunters that gullable?

Camo is another joke in my eyes - i would like to see a camo manufacturor design a line of camo based on how animals see color, pattern and shape - not us humans...oh wait, we are the ones wiht the checkbook,,,

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,349 Posts
I don't think anyone ever bought any scent reduction gear thinking it would somehow make them magically invisible to deer ?!? It's all part of a successful scent reducing system that can and WILL help.

OOOOOhhhh I bet there was a few!

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
OOOOOhhhh I bet there was a few!
Well, OK..... there are obviously tons of simple-minded do-as-the-pros-do fanboys that would buy crap-on-a-stick if Tiff or Waddell told 'em to. LOL!

·
Registered
23,228 Posts
if it has been proven scientifically (which i believe that it has) that all carbon based clothing cannot be reactivated in a household dryer and will absord ZERO odor once full (well before it leaves the manufacturor), how are these companies still in business? I will admit that i do like the style of some of these carbon based items, but i dont believe that most people are buying them for that purpose. Are we are hunters that gullable?

Camo is another joke in my eyes - i would like to see a camo manufacturor design a line of camo based on how animals see color, pattern and shape - not us humans...oh wait, we are the ones wiht the checkbook,,,
Agree with the top section, not so much with the bottom. ASAT and Predator were both designed to break up the human form without blobbing against the background. They are not as popular as "flavor of the month" type camo that look like leaves, bark, cornfields, or snow however........because they don't look as cool to the human eye.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Never did buy into it. You have to be smarter than your money or your money will leave you.

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
Couple of thoughts like Red said if you buy it cheep who cares it's quality camo. And Camo is made to blend in to surrounding cover not what they think a deer sees.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I didn't buy my scent-loc to eliminate my scent. I bought it because it is very good quality and very warm, so no, I have not been duped.
i agree 100%, and the number 1 point is this, its my money, why should anyone care what i do with it, if i want to buy scent lok so be it, i dont need field reports from filed and stream or outdoor life to tell me what to do, and why 100's here on AT put dont people for buying it is beyond me.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
I havent ever bought any of it. just out of my price range whether it worked or not. I just always try to hunt according to the wind and let the cards fall where they may.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts