Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often wondered if field dressing was a Northeast practice or something. I notice that allot of hunters from other parts of the country drag their deer out of the woods whole, sometimes even drop them off at the butcher that way. If I brought a deer to the butcher not dressed out, he'd charge me an extra $20.

Anyone know where this practice is done and why? Maybe it is so you can get an exact live weight?

My brother in law grew up in California and didn't know how to field dress a deer, I had to show him. He's been hunting for his whole life!

Thanks for the input.

Jon

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Why wouldnt you?I do it to help cool
the meat down,pack ice in cavity keeps
it fresh and in good shape!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Field dressing a deer is not a practice isolated to the NE. I've taken deer in several states, Mexico, Canada and Suriname and have always field dressed my deer and boned them out once back in camp...same goes for elk or any other game for that matter. I've never heard that hunters from certain regions of the country don't field dress their game??

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe someone who doesn't dress them out in the field can barge in and answer. I have had a few customers come in to the shop and show me deer that were not gutted, I never had the nerve to ask them why they didnt. I think I will next time!

The season is quickly approaching, I'm getting the fever!

Jon

·
Registered
830 Posts
I hunted in Virgina one year and they did not field dress the owner of the lodge felt other hunters should not have to hunt over somebodys gut pile. Also felt it would attract coyotes. When they got the deer back to the camp they placed it on a tarp gutted and logged what the deer was eating weighted then butcher it. All the gut piles were taked to there garbage dump.

Elk hunting the guide did not gut the animals butskinned cut and quarted on the spot.

·
74,535 Posts
Field dress mine

Get rid of that extra weight for dragging out. I do know some that dont here and our butcher doesnt charge any extra.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have field dressed some of time. Like now, with our season already being open:D , I would to help cool it down. But, later in the year we just take it back to the skining house, and do everything there. Where I hunt, if we do field dress the deer you have to take a gut sack with you to put everything in. I guess the biggest reason people do not do it, is just because it is easiest to do everything at camp.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I field dress my own deer.

i have a friend that I have hunted with in the past, and he can't field dress a deer due to the smell(very weak stomach).

I got tired of dressing his deer, that season I hunted with him.

·
Registered
48 Posts
unbeleivable

It's unbeleivable that someone would drag all that useless weight around and want to deal with it at the barn or packing house .
The only time I have heard of someone doing that was a first time hunter that was so damned excited he didn't know what to do !!!

Actually a neighbor ( young man , first deer ) killed a nice big buck and got so excited he drug the whole deer down a hill across a creek and part way up the other hill untill he was so exhausted that he couldn't hardly walk . My wife saw him practically crawling up the hill past the house . She couldn't catch up with me so she went over the hill and showed him how to gut it . She couldn't beleive he drug it that far .
My nine year old son had to skin the deer for him . The next day his legs were cramped so bad he couldn't hardly get out of bed .

What a hoot!!!!

·
Registered
11,769 Posts
man i would never drag all that extra weight. i dont think there is anyone on the planet that enjoys it, but man i didnt know there was any other way!!:D easton94

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I'll drag the deer about 40 or 50 yards without field dressing. Most of the kills in the last couple of years have been fairly accessible to a 4 wheeler or my Toyota 4WD. However, I will field dress it if I have to drag it across a creek or levy or some other obstacle. Also, if it is a long drag, no doubt I will field dress it. Finally, if it will be a little while before I can haul it off, I will field dress it and situate the deer so it will keep the meat cool.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have always feild dressed my deer ASAP, unless I was so far back in that I just strapped and quartered 'em instead of dragging the whole deer out... As for leaving gut piles in a hunting area, some hunters believe that hunting near a fresh gut pile from a nice buck is a good way to take another good buck - they might be right, IMO...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I don't field dress my deer....BUT.....when I shoot one I'm less than 5 minutes from the skinning pole on our lease so by the time I field dress one...I can have it loaded on 4 wheeler and back to the skinning pole.......I also hang my deer from the head to skin and clean it........takes less than 15 minutes from finding the deer to cooler on ice!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Kildog,

Why do you hang your deer by the head to clean it?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Its quite a bit faster and you don't have to have a gambrel! Just hang and skin....cut up and carry the carcass to the coyotes!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
matsicon said:
Kildog,

Why do you hang your deer by the head to clean it?
Yeah, that is what I want to know too?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts